Homemade Italian seasoning adds so much flavor to sauces and casseroles. You probably have all of the ingredients in your cupboard already so check it out. It only takes a little measuring and you are done.
I use a lot of Italian seasoning and I bet you do too. The recipes that you can make are countless and if you can make a Homemade Italian Seasoning then you are also on your way to saving money.
You see all of the herbs and spices that are used in this recipe and Italian cuisines are probably already in your cupboard and just waiting to be used more often.
There's an Italian seasoning packet on the shelves in the grocery store. I think you know the section I mean. But do you know that those packets only hold about 2 tablespoons of the herb mix and the price is way-way out there?
Don't be intimidated by making your own herb and seasoning mixes because it is really easy. You can keep the mixes in old jars that you've already collected or buy one of the many glass jar sets that are out there.
Italian Seasoning Uses
This recipe goes really well in red sauces and countless casseroles. It also goes really well sprinkled in with sautéd vegetables. You can easily cut this recipe in half or if you're like me - go for it!
- Side dishes can shine when Italian spices are added. This Instant Pot Potato Carrot Medley proves it.
- Stuffed Mushrooms can be a side or appetizer.
- I think soup was invented to take advantage of herbs and spices. This Kale White Bean Soup tastes great with one teaspoon added.
A little bit goes a long way and it really does make a difference. You know when someone says that a recipe needs a little something? Well, that little something is usually a little seasoning.
A pinch of seasoning and maybe a little salt might be all you need.
What seasonings are in Homemade Italian Seasoning?
- oregano, dried
- dried basil
- dried rosemary
- thyme, dried
- dried marjoram
- garlic powder
- ground sage
Herb and spice mixes are so pretty. Not only do they complement your recipes but they make a wonderful gift too.
Everyone gets a smile on their face when they're handed a pretty small jar of a great mix. You can even attach a favorite recipe to go along with the seasonings.
What Are Some Homemade Spice Mixes for Gifts and Home
- Homemade Ranch Dressing Mix
- Taco Seasoning is always a favorite.
- Fajita Mix is becoming my fast and favorite seasoning mix.
- Garam Masala is indispensable for many East Indian dishes
- Homemade Cajun Seasoning
- Homemade Curry Powder
- Pumpkin Spice Mix is a must-have in the autumn. Those little white jars were from World Market.
- Homemade Chili Seasoning Mix gets used a lot in our household.
- Homemade Seasoned Salt is a Must Have
I didn't realize I had so many mixes on the blog. It looks like there are some I need to add too.
So don't procrastinate and do yourself a favor. This recipe really only takes 15 minutes, at the most. It's just measuring.
This post contains affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
What Do You Think?
If you take a photo of your pretty mix I would love to see it. Follow me over on Instagram and tag me on your photo @vegan_in_the_freezer.
And if you'd like to leave a star rating along with a comment, it would really be appreciated.
Homemade Italian Seasoning
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 2 tablespoons dried rosemary
- 2 tablespoons dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons dried marjoram
- 1 ½ teaspoons garlic powder, not tablespoons
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground sage, not tablespoons
- Mix all of the ingredients together. That is it.