Instant Pot Potato Carrot Medley has flavor to spare and all in under 30 minutes. So simple you can have your favorite vegetables anytime you want.
Instant Pots are such a time saver. Here is a recipe that would probably take 45 minutes in the oven and would heat up the house while everything was baking.
Not such a good idea when it is pushing 80°, 90° or even 100° outside.
No matter what the temperature is ‘time’ is always in short supply. The instant pot helps take care of that problem for you.
I am excited to finally have an instant pot and I’m determined to take full advantage of it.
Instant Pot Potato Carrot Medley is packed full of goodness. You’ll be torn or whether to mash it or just stick a chunk right in your mouth.
Either way, the great taste is all there with a perfect balance of all the flavors.
What is An Instant Pot?
- An Instant Pot is a brand name for a pressure cooker.
- It is an electric appliance so you don’t have to boil water on a stove top to get pressure to rise.
- It’s programmable! This makes life so easy.
- An Instant Pot does so much more than pressure cook. It’s a pressure cooker, slow cooker, yogurt maker, steamer, rice cooker, sauté/browning pan and a warming pan.
- The usual suspects for cooking – Close lid, make sure sealer is on instead of vent, push type of cooking, put in time and walk away.
- There are many people who make electric mixers now. Instant Pot, Cuisinart, Bestek, Crock Pot and so many more.
- Originally I made this recipe in a pressure cooker that needs less liquid to come to pressure. The recipe card is correct for an Instant Pot.
- I used the 6 quart size for this instant pot potato carrot medley but it will work in a larger size too.
I think I’ll make a grocery list for the week. First I’ll list Mon. thru Sun. and then put Instant Pot under each day.
One recipe a day will be from an Instant Pot whether it’s a main, side or dessert.
That will be a lot of fun. Not only to figure out the recipes but to eat them too.
Another nice thing is that there will be leftovers so that the shopping list will probably be more like a week and a half worth of meals instead of just seven days.
Can I Use Russet Potatoes for This Instant Pot Side Dish?
- Yes, you can! In fact, you can change out the potatoes for whatever you have.
- Yukon Gold is a yellow color and are not as starchy as russets.
- Russets taste fantastic too but you usually need to clean up their skins some or peel them completely.
- The small colorful baby potatoes that are on the market now would really add a pretty color variety with their purple, red and gold skins.
- Red potatoes don’t need to be peeled either and the inside is a bright white.
- Fingerling potatoes have nutty or earthy flavors with different varieties also being in different colors. No need to peel.
Heck, you can even change out the carrots for those beautiful new colorful carrots that come in shades of orange, purple and red.
I’d probably only change out one type of vegetable at a time just to have a visually more calming dish. Or you could go ‘Alice in Wonderland’ and do mixed colors of potatoes and carrots all at the same time.
I’m going to switch over to carrots for a second. We (meaning all of us) don’t eat enough of them. Beautiful, cheap and nutritious.
A third of this recipe is comprised of carrots and they enhance this clean fresh meal to no end.
There’s another recipe I have called Maple Glazed Carrots that are sliced and rolled cut. I have to show you a pic. Aren’t they pretty?
Potatoes are King!
Carrots and Potatoes are such a great side dish and there must be hundreds of potatoes recipes in this world. I’m sure I have at least 10 recipes on this blog alone utilizing potatoes.
So don’t miss out on making another potato dish a tradition in your house. Pull out your carrots and Yukon gold potatoes and spend a few minutes making a great Instant Pot recipe.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This post contains affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
What Do You Think?
If you take a photo of your quick and tasty potatoes and carrots I would love to see it. Follow me over on Instagram and tag me on your photo @vegan_in_the_freezer.
Instant Pot Potato Carrot Medley
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion - white, diced
- 2 pounds carrots - baby carrots, cut in half if medium sized
- 3 cloves garlic - finely chopped
- 4 pounds potatoes - Yukon gold, cut into chunks, usually in half or fourths
- 1 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning - click on Italian Seasoning for a homemade recipe
- 1 teaspoon Spike - original seasoning, if you don't have this get it in your cupboard. It is the best mix and is in all the grocery stores
- fresh parsley for garnish
- Add oil to the Instant Pot. Sauté onions for 5 minutes.
- Add carrots and saute 5 more minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients. Stir. Close the lid and turn the knob to sealing on top of the Instant Pot.
- Click the "manual" button and set the time to 5 minutes.
- Once cooking completes let the pressure valve release naturally (about 10 minutes)
- Dish up into a serving bowl and sprinkle on a bit of fresh parsley.
This recipe is best not frozen. The potatoes and carrot medley will keep in the fridge for four to five days.