Homemade Taco Seasoning! All you need are 2 tbsps. to match one of those store bought packets. It’s a better mix too! Surprise ingredient inside this taco seasoning recipe that pushes this mix over the top.
You will think that one of the ingredients is very unusual, and it is, but what a fantastic addition. I’m not going to ‘reveal’ the special addition yet but it is actually a natural.
I actually tripled this taco seasoning recipe when I made it because I make a lot of Mexican style food and I thought it would be great to just have this on hand at all times.
You won’t believe the recipes that I end up adding it too. Taco seasoning in my tofu scramble instead of cumin? Yes! Taco seasoning in my Chipotle Scones? Always!
Just wait until tomorrow! Well, yesterday has come and gone but I posted Slow Cooker Black Bean Burritos using this wonderful spice mixture. One of my most popular recipes on the blog.
You already have most of the ingredients for this taco seasoning recipe, if not all, and you probably have a small bottle that you saved from a past condiment too. I save all of mine. I’m kind of jar crazy … and glass crazy.
Everything is on display in my house. If it’s little and rolls around or colorful or sparkly then it’s in a glass container. Lid or not but if there are lids then they are usually glass too.
Spices make an especially pretty display so you don’t need to hide them in a cupboard. I also have a display rack on the wall that holds my herbs and spices just right. Love having the extra space in my pantry.
For this recipe I wanted to actually use specific spice jars and certain sizes so I took advantage of the blog and went shopping for pretty little containers. This is going to be one of many spice mixes that will be on the blog in the future. So let’s get going!
Want Some More Homemade Seasoning Mix Ideas?
- Homemade Chili Seasoning Mix – Another extremely versatile mix.
- Homemade Italian Seasoning – The ever popular seasoning mix for all your pasta favorites.
- Homemade Garam Masala Seasoning – This mix takes your Middle Eastern recipes a long way.
- Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice – Don’t forget your special sweets.
Take a quick peek at the Homemade Chili Seasoning Mix. It’s pretty too but with it’s own unique ingredients.
Here is a picture of the taco seasoning ingredients. Waiting to be blended together.
Let’s Get Connected!
Homemade Taco Seasoning
Homemade Taco Seasoning is only 2 tbsps. to match one of those store bought packets.
- 2 Tablespoon chili powder plus 1 teaspoon
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoon oregano ground or ground Mexican oregano
- 3 teaspoon cumin ground
- I have a spice mill so I ground up the dried oregano for the mix. You can also just crush it more with your fingers. It will still work great in the mixture.
- Mix all of the ingredients and store in a jar with a tight lid.
- Ground and dried spices last two to three years so there is no problem in keeping them on your shelf.
Two tablespoons equals one packet of store bought taco seasoning.
Now see? You didn’t even have to go out and spend any extra money. You already had everything in your cupboard. That really makes me feel accomplished when things get organized and pretty.
The fact that the ‘pretty’ improves the food isn’t a bad thing either.