Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix is one of the most versatile spice recipes you can have. All you need are 2 tablespoons to match a store-bought taco seasoning packet.
You probably have all the ingredients for this taco seasoning recipe already.
You will think that one of the ingredients for this homemade taco seasoning mix is very unusual, and it is, but what a fantastic addition.
I'm not going to 'reveal' the special addition yet, but it is actually 'a natural'. See if you can pick it out in the ingredients photo right below here.
I tripled this taco seasoning recipe when I made it because I make a lot of Mexican style food and I thought it would be great to have this on hand at all times. It is great sprinkled on taco salads too!
You won't believe the recipes that I end up adding it too. Taco seasoning in my tofu scramble instead of cumin? Yes! Homemade Taco seasoning in my Chipotle Scones? Always!
Just wait until tomorrow! Well, yesterday has come and gone but I posted Slow Cooker Black Bean Burritos using this wonderful spice mixture. One of my most popular recipes on the blog.
You already have most of the ingredients, if not all, for this homemade taco seasoning recipe and you probably have a small bottle that you saved from a past condiment too.
Tips and storing
Two tablespoons equal one packet of store-bought taco seasoning.
Now see? You didn't even have to go out and spend any extra money. You already had everything in your cupboard for this taco seasoning recipe.
That really makes me feel accomplished when things get organized and pretty all at the same time.
The fact that the 'pretty' improves the food isn't a bad thing either.
I save all of my small jars. I'm kind of jar crazy ... and glass crazy.
Everything is on display in my house. Spices make an especially pretty display so you don't need to hide them in a cupboard.
I also have a display rack on the wall that holds my herbs and spices just right. Love having the extra space in my pantry.
For this recipe, I wanted to actually use specific spice jars and certain sizes so I shopping for pretty little containers. Cost Plus World Market has some really cool ones too.
This is going to be one of many spice mixes that will be on the blog in the future. Each ingredient is the perfect amount for a great blend. So let's get going!
- Chili powder - the king of spices for this all-around seasoning mix
- Garlic powder - goes a long way in the flavor department with just a little bit.
- Onion powder - is powerful so a little goes a long way and adds a lot of flavor.
- Paprika - has a mild flavor but does add some flavoring and it has a beautiful color that can change the look of the dish.
- Ground black pepper - is very spicy so don't use a lot.
- Cocoa Powder - gives a hint of flavor depth
- Ground coriander - is mildly sweet with a nutty aroma.
- Sea salt - is the perfect understated seasoning.
- Dried oregano - is aromatic and has an earthy flavor.
- Ground Cumin - is also unusual but gives more of a tasty kick.
- You can use a spice mill or spice grinder for the oregano if you like. You can also just crush it more with your fingers. It will still work great in the mixture.
- Mix all of the ingredients and store in a jar with a tight lid.
- Ground and dried spices last two to three years so there is no problem in keeping them on your shelf.
Here is a picture of the taco seasoning ingredients waiting to be blended together. So many pretty colors and such good taste.
💭 Ways to use taco seasoning mix
- It's not only for tacos! Here are a couple more ideas.
- Mix it in your burrito stuffing for some great taste. Vegan Rice and Bean Burrito's are perfect for this idea.
- You can always add more than a recipe calls for to get extra spice. Chipotle Scones could handle maybe another ½ teaspoon.
Ground and dried spices last two to three years so there is no problem in keeping them on your shelf. I bet this mix will be used up way before then though.
Yes, though I think this recipe is perfect you can sure add more onion powder and garlic powder.
I would say no. It has a different taste as you know and it would not be in line with the Mexican style recipes you'll be making.
📖 Seasoning mix recipes
- Another extremely versatile mix. - Homemade Chili Seasoning Mix
- Homemade Italian Seasoning - The ever-popular seasoning mix for all your pasta favorites.
- Don't forget your special sweets - Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice
- Homemade Garam Masala Seasoning - This mix takes your Middle Eastern recipes a long way.
If you take a photo of your perfect seasoning I would love to see it. Follow me over on Instagram and tag me on your photo @vegan_in_the_freezer.
Homemade Taco Seasoning
- 2 Tablespoon chili powder plus 1 teaspoon
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoon oregano ground or ground Mexican oregano
- 3 teaspoon cumin ground
- You can grind the oregano in a spice grinder if you like. You can also just crush it more with your fingers.
- Mix all of the ingredients well.
- Store in a jar or tin with a tight lid.