Slow Cooker Black Bean Burritos are easy and spicy with lots of texture. It all turns into a hearty meal with brown rice tucked inside. Add avocados and black olives to compliment!
Slow Cooker Black Bean Burritos are my two favorite things. At least lately, that crockpot has become my little darling and Mexican style food goes without saying.
The slow cooker makes life easier and spicy flavorful food makes life richer.
The contrasting flavors in these burritos taste so good. Besides the tortillas, there are only seven ingredients to make these best- tasting burritos.
It is so funny when I start a new post and I begin to tell you about the recipe. I actually get excited. Not only to tell you about it but I want you to make it right now!
Make it and eat it! And black beans are so dang good for you.
Black Beans are Protein Packed
- Unbelievably, a cup of black beans is 15g of protein. I repeat, 15 grams.
- Not only that, beans have lots of fiber.
- There are Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids.
- NO cholesterol or sugar.
- 11 minerals including around 30% of your daily minimum requirements of magnesium.
- 7 vitamins and even more. Black Beans are good!
You can even take advantage of making your own Homemade Taco Seasoning in this recipe. Only the best and healthiest food for you and me. Right?
Here’s a pic to tempt you into making your own seasoning.
The burritos are spicy with lots of texture and at the end of your crock pot’s cooking day it all turns into a hearty meal.
It would also be great to add avocados and black olives – either on the burrito or on the side.
You could even serve a nice side dish of Spanish Rice. I’ve got one of those recipes on the blog too. It is Spanish Rice with Pinto Beans.
That was one of my first recipes when I started to blog and it will remain one of my favorite Mexican style recipes too.
Oh, yeah! There’s a video that shows you how to make Black Bean Burritos. If you’re on desktop you’ve probably already seen it as it’s at the top of the page.
If you’re on mobile it’s right below here and right above the recipe card.
Let’s Get Connected!
This post contains affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
How to make Slow Cooker Black Bean Burritos
Slow Cooker Black Bean Burritos
- 28 ounces tomatoes or 2 cans diced tomatoes, 14 1.2 ounces each
- 1/4 cup salsa your favorite
- 2 tablespoons Taco Seasoning you can use my homemade version, link in the post
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 28 ounces black beans, 2 cans black beans, 14-15 ounces each
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, finely chopped - it comes in a small can in the Hispanic section in the grocery store
- 1 cup brown rice, uncooked
- 1/2 cup whole kernel corn canned, drained and rinsed, or i ear fresh ear or frozen
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 10 whole wheat tortillas
- In your slow cooker add the tomatoes, salsa, beans, rice, corn, seasonings, chipotle in adobo sauce and broth. Stir and cover.
- Cook on low 6-8 hours or on high 3-4 hours. The rice will be tender and most of the liquid will be absorbed.
- Lay out your tortillas and place about 1/3 to 1/2 cup on each tortilla. 1/2 Cup is for a very large burrito.
- Spread down through the center.
- On these burritos I folded each end just about 1 1/2" over the point edge of the beans. Then I rolled up the tortilla along the long edge.
- If you have a certain technique that you want to use on these - go right ahead.
- Stack up and serve with more salsa, avocado or guacamole and black olives.
You can freeze the bean and rice mixture and roll the tortillas after it is defrosted and heated.
You can also freeze the rolled burritos. They would be best warmed up in the microwave – turning once and flipping over once while cooking. About 2 minutes total.
Package the mixture in rigid sided freezer containers or you can also pack the finished rolled burritos in freezer bags.