Pizza Muffins just sound like they would be perfect for any casual get together. An improvement would be to make them mini and even better – add a vegetable. Voila! Mini Pizza Muffins with Broccoli!
As an appetizer Mini Pizza Muffins can be handled much easier than regular size muffins. The perfect appetizer is from one to three bites so these are right in there. You can even dunk them in pizza sauce – or not – but what’s not fun about dunking. As always, I like to switch things up so when I was making these muffins I thought “I should add a veggie!”. Broccoli seemed like the right choice because it’s flavor blends perfectly with the stronger tastes of the pizza sauce. It was a go.
My idea of a perfect get-together or game day spread is two different dips, one being something like Spicy Black Bean Hummus, with a big plate of sliced raw vegetables, chips, crackers and two handy appetizers. Appetizers that you can just pick up with your fingers. This mini muffin recipe is just one of those recipes. After you’ve ironed out your choices and made a list, all you have left to do is have drinks galore and invite your friends and/or family.
Here are a couple of hints for the broccoli preparation before baking – Cut the broccoli florets off of the stem. Pare the stems to get down to the tasty inside part. Steam the stems, only, for about 5-7 minutes. Add the florets and steam for up to 10 more minutes until the stem is fork tender. Cool the broccoli and cut the stem into very small pieces and the florets into small bits. They fall apart pretty easily. There you go.
So, go ahead. Enjoy these unusual appetizers as much as we do and more importantly – have fun!
This recipe makes 24 minis but I would recommend doubling the batch. They will go fast.
Mini Pizza Muffins with Broccoli
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 2 tablespoons Pizza Sauce, for inside the mixture
- 1 Tablespoon Egg Replacer, prepared according to your package directions or 1 Tablespoon Organic Flaxseed Meal and 3 Tablespoons water
- 1 cup broccoli, cooked and chopped
- 1/2 cup dairy free mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup Pizza Sauce, for dunking
- Preheat the oven to 375°
- Lightly oil Mini Muffin Tin - enough for 24 muffins.
- Steam the broccoli for 15 minutes (more detailed instructions are above the recipe)
- Mix the eggreplacer with the water and set aside.
- In a large bowl add the flour, baking powder, and the spices. Mix well.
- Add the almond milk, egg replacer mixture and 2 tablespoons pizza sauce and stir well.
- Fold in the grated dairy free cheese and cooked broccoli.
- Fill the 24 muffin tins. They should be full.
- Bake at 375° for 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown.
- Heat 1/2 cup pizza sauce in the microwave and serve with the muffins.
TO PREPARE AFTER FREEZING:
Remove from the freezer and put in the refrigerator the day before serving.
When serving - zap in the microwave just to take the chill off and serve with warmed pizza sauce for dunking.