Nuts and Bolts Party Mix Recipe is an old-timey recipe that can keep an army 'snack happy'. Homemade chex mix flavors - and so easy to make.
Do you remember ever putting your hands into a mountain of flavored cereals and nuts when you were at parties? I do! In fact, I remember making it with my mom.
Just mixing it with your hands before the seasonings were added was fun in itself.
I think I remember mom doing the mixing with the added flavorings because I can also remember some going over the side of the bowl as it was getting tossed.
So many great kinds of cereals and nuts are included. You can switch up the nuts if you like, just make sure you keep the same measurements so that the balance is correct between the sauce and mix.
You know how I mentioned this is an old-timey recipe? I don't mean the 80's or 60's even. It's from the 50's and it was always on hand at every get-together, Especially sports games
And it wasn't always just at parties. This is a a really nice party mix snack without the party.
You may have already noticed that there are two different Chex mixes here. In fact some cereals aren't even Chex. They are vegan varieties. And you can see pretzel sticks are in one and pretzel knots are in the other.
What I'm getting at is that you can mix it up but just use the same seasoning mix. Stick with the 'Chex' kinds of cereal to make it classic.
Chefs Tips and Variations
You can go into any store and find vegan versions of the original Chex cereals. There is one that is a multi-grain chex square that would work perfectly for the Wheat Chex.
Cheerios has a vegan alternative also. Just look for oat cereals and there will be one sitting there.
I got all of my ingredients at Sprouts but I feel sure any Trader Joe's and all natural food stores will have a good assortment.
Don't forget the vegan version of Worcestershire sauce too. Of course, peanuts and pretzel's are always good to go.
Another fun finger food that is very popular on the blog is Pesto Tortilla Rollups! It takes only minutes and you won't believe how tasty they are. Check 'em out!
Both of these appetizers are also included in the pot 17 Vegan Party Appetizers because they are just that good and easy. They needed to make that list.
Of course, you can't grab these by the hand full like you can Nuts and Bolts Party Mix but they are still fun to handle.
Ingredients and instructions
Get out the biggest bowl you've got and start mixing. If you've got a large roasting pan that's even better as it will save you from cleaning an extra bowl.
You can keep this Party Mix recipe gluten-free too. Just use your favorite cereal that has large pieces like Chex and you'll be fine. Not sweet varieties though because this is a savory mix.
The taste is savory and it just happens to have all of the flavors that kids like too. Below is a picture of the ingredients and you can see how easy it's going to be.
Ingredients for the ones in the recipe card, Make sure you check the labels to but vegan varieties.
- Rice Chex style Cereal
- Corn Chex style Cereal
- Wheat Chex style Cereal
- Pretzel rounds
- Mini pretzels
- Mixed Nuts
- Dairy-free butter
- Vegan Worcestershire Sauce
- Seasoned Salt
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Preheat the oven to 300°F.
- Melt the butter in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Add the vegan Worcestershire sauce and seasonings. Mix well.
- In a very large bowl mix the nuts and cereals together.
- Pour the prepared seasoning liquid over everything in the large bowl and mix well.
- Spread evenly on a baking sheet and bake 30 to 40 minutes stirring halfway through.
- Remove from the oven and allow it to cool.
There you have it. A really nice snack to enjoy. You can store it in an airtight container. Make it ahead of time and you can also keep it in the freezer.
Make ahead party mix
This Party Mix Recipe is perfect for making ahead in bulk, freezing, and then enjoying whenever you want. It’s also great for homemade gifts!
My mom always makes a ton of this and froze it. She sends us home from Christmas dinner with large freezer bags of this goodness. It’s not necessarily great for the waist-line but it’s really great for the soul - and taste buds.
It’s just too delicious and feels like home.
Yes! Add a teaspoon of cayenne pepper to this recipe and you're on your way.
It's about 1 ½ cups.
It is a mixture of spices such as salt, pepper, red pepper, paprika and more.
Place in an airtight freezer storage bag and double bag. You can also freeze in a rigid sided container that is freezer safe.
More finger food recipes
- Soft Pretzel bites are homemade and perfect when dunked or not into mustard.
- Something completely different but so good to have as a snack is Vegan Sushi that is madewith cauliflower rice.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This post contains affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
Your opinion means a lot to me and if you'd like to leave a comment and possibly a star rating I'd love to hear your thoughts.
Nuts and Bolts Party Mix
- 2 cups Rice Chex style cereal
- 2 cups Corn Chex style cereal
- 2 cups Wheat Chex style cereal
- ¾ cups Pretzel rounds
- ¾ cups Mini pretzels
- ¾ cups Mixed nuts
- ¾ cups Cashews
- 8 tablespoons dairy-free butter
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce - vegan version
- 2 teaspoons Seasoned salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- Preheat the over to 300°F.
- In a large bowl, combine the cereal, nuts, and pretzels.
- Melt butter in a microwave-safe bowl.
- To the butter add the Worcestershire sauce, seasonings, and spices and whisk until well combined.
- Pour butter liquid mixture over the cereal mixture and mix until well coated.
- Pour on a cookie sheet and spread evenly.
- Bake at 300°F for 30 to 40 minutes stirring halfway through the baking.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.