This iced matcha green tea latte recipe is so easy to make at home. Only 3 ingredients are needed to make a cool and refreshing drink. This dairy-free Starbucks copycat will be the highlight of your morning!
Making a matcha drink at home is not only more affordable but it lets you know exactly what’s going into your drink. You’re also able to easily control the level of sweetness and sugar.
Matcha is an antioxidant darling and you'll be getting plenty of additional healthy benefits is you start adding it into your diet.
Table of Contents
What is matcha powder
China and Japan have used the plant for hundreds of years. Matcha leaves are a vibrant green color from being shaded at the end of their growth which increases their green chlorophyll content.
The powder is made by turning the leaves into a fine powder which can be used in lattes, teas, smoothies, and more.
A very popular drink that you can buy at a drive thru is Iced Matcha Green Tea Latte Starbucks special.
Make it at a fraction of the cost in the comfort of you own home and in just 5 minutes.
Benefits of matcha green tea
There are lots of health benefits!
It is loaded with antioxidants that are believed to provide protection against cancer and heart disease.
It also has a polyphenol called EGCG which may boost metabolism.
You only need three ingredients (plus ice) to make a homemade matcha green tea latte. Here is what you need:
- Dairy-Free Milk - you can use your favorite vegan milk, but use unsweetened.
- Vanilla Syrup is the classic copycat but you can also use other sweetener syrups such as caramel.
- Matcha Green Tea Powder - do not use the sweetened kind for this recipe.
It takes only minutes to whip up this delicious iced matcha green tea latte. Using a blender helps make sure there are no leftover lumps from the powder. See the simple steps below:
- Blend: Blend the dairy-free milk, vanilla syrup, and green tea powder in a blender. Blending completely will fully dissolve the powder and there will be no lumps.
- Pour over Ice: Add ice to three venti-sized cups and pour over the latte.
Unsweetened matcha powder vs. sweetened
Pure Matcha has a strong taste. While high quality, pure matcha powder is unsweetened, there are mixes that have added sugar.
I prefer to use unsweetened powder in this iced matcha latte recipe. If you decide to use a sweetened powder, then leave out the vanilla syrup.
Starbucks uses a Tazo Matcha powder blend. The blend is made from green tea powder and sugar.
Yes, it does have caffeine. Green tea has caffeine and matcha is more concentrated in caffeine than regular green tea.
You can use any dairy-free milk. Use your favorite variety but use an unsweetened milk. This iced drink is sweet enough from the vanilla syrup or sweetened matcha powder.
Can this matcha green tea latte be made in advance
You can blend up the green tea latte and store in the fridge for a few days. When ready to enjoy, just shake it up and pour over ice.
This recipe makes three big drinks so you can enjoy one now and enjoy two more later.
More Iced Drink Recipes
Nothing beats an ice cold drink on a warm day. Here are a few more iced drinks that you must try.
- Whipped Coffee - It only takes a couple of minutes to make the sweetened coffee topping then top it on iced dairy-free milk for an easy homemade Dalgona coffee.
- Mocha Coffee - Use your slow cooker to make a big batch of vegan mocha coffee then enjoy hot or over ice for a special treat.
Iced Matcha Latte
- 4 ½ cups dairy free milk - unsweetened
- ⅓ cup vanilla syrup
- ⅓ cup Matcha green tea powder
- In a blender, add the ingredients.
- Blend until powder is fully dissolved.
- In 3 venti cups add ice to top and pour in matcha tea.