Our Patriotic Passion American Cocktail will get you in the spirit! Cool refreshing flavors with stars and raspberries. Mix it by the glass or pitcher for a refreshing red, white and blue drink.
It's the old red white and blue with stars galore. An American cocktail for sure.
This is not a classic vodka cocktail but it should be! I'm determined to turn it into a classic because it's just that good.
Do you like to create cocktail recipes? It seems like a lot of fun to me especially when the concoction is being made for a special holiday.
First comes the color scheme. Red, white and blue is challenging but to me that also adds to the fun.
Blue Curacao is always in my cupboard because the color is just so pretty. It's also always there because mostly I'm never sure what to do with it.
Finally, I get to use it!
Now comes red. Red is an easy one. Whether it is juice or fruit you can easily figure in red somewhere. Since raspberries are a favorite for most people, It's a Go.
Have you had jicama? You must, must, must try it if you haven't. It's crisp and delicious. Let me tell you a little bit about it.
What is Jicama!
- It is a root vegetable but it also seems like a fruit. I always thought it was a fruit.
- Slightly sweet and sort of crispy and juicy like an apple.
- Truly, it is one of my favorites and I often use it, like spears, to dunk in dips. You can lay it on a platter with other fruit and veggie dippers or stand it up in a glass with a little water as you can carrots.
- Well, this time I have another chance to use it and in a very special way. I jumped at the challenge.
Are you tempted yet? I mean to use jicama for more than for this cocktail? I mean when you finally try it you are going to be so happy. It's a unique and refreshing vegetable.
You're going to be thinking "Why have I waited so long?"
How Can I Prepare Jicama Especially for Cutting Out Shapes?
- After you peel jicama you have a large white round shape. There is a video link right below this to show you how to peel it.
- Slice it in thin slices (about 1/4" thick or so) and this leaves you with slabs.
- Now it is the perfect medium to use with cookie cutters.
- Choose and cookie cutter you like and press straight down. It is a little firmer than an apple but cuts easily.
- Do you see what I've done for this recipe? Check out the cute little jicama stars.
They are crispy cool and they turned out to be a great pairing with this refreshing American Cocktail.
A couple more ingredients and you have quite a tasty drink. Does that look festive or what!
I've actually linked to a you tube video by Chef Andrew Dole. It shows how to peel and cut jicama and it's exactly the way I do it.
Sometimes I cut it in half first, before peeling, and slice into thicker slices for dipping. I explain how to peel it after slicing in the recipe card below.
Don't forget to have some pretty little star cookies as a treat for everyone also. These Easy Shortbread Cookies in the shape of stars will melt in your mouth!
Here's a photo to keep you in the spirit!
There are quite a few gluten-free vodkas and I would really like to mention that here. Many vodkas start from wheat grain but not all. For instance, Smirnoff starts with corn grain.
Here is a link to a darn good list of Gluten-Free Vodkas. So you see all of us adults can enjoy this lovely vodka cocktail.
American Cocktail Flavors:
Blue Curacao is a citrus-based liqueur such as Triple Sec. Vodka is, well, vodka. Apple and lime juices add even more flavor fruit flavor to this delicious classic vodka cocktail to be.
Everything tastes fruity and light and this Patriotic Passion is a pleasure to sip on. Check out how easy it is and you can even make a pitcher.
In fact, before you scroll down to the recipe card for one tall drink here is the ingredient measurement for a pitcher to serve four.
What are the Measurements for a Pitcher of American Cocktails?
- 1 1/4 cup vodka
- 1/4 cup Blue Curacao
- 10 ounces unfiltered apple juice
- 6 ounces lime juice
- A few raspberries and some jicama stars
You can even precut the jicama stars. Put them in a container and cover with water. Set in the fridge and they will keep for a couple of days.
This post contains affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
Patriotic Passion Cocktail
- 3 ounce vodka
- 1 ounce Blue Curacao
- 2 1/2 ounce unfiltered apple juice
- 1 1/2 ounce lime juice
- 1 ounce jicama buy the whole jicima, 1 ounce is for the nutrition label
- 2 tablespoons raspberries buy the small box of raspberries, 2 tablespoons is for the nutrition label
Now for our cocktail.
Let's prepare the stars first.
- Cut a jicama in half and save the other half in the fridge. You can use this later for more stars or for a veggie to dunk in a dip or toss in a salad.
- Lay the cut side down on a cutting board.
- Use a chef's knife to cut down at an angle to cut the skin off. You will take a bit of the jicama with it but that can't be helped. Now you have a skinned jicama.
- Keep the jicama with the cut side down and make slices that are about 1/4" thick. See the photo for an idea of the thickness.
- Now push straight down with a small star cookie cutter.
- Put all of the jicama stars and pieces in a container such as a measuring cup and cover them with water. They will keep days in the fridge like this.
Now for the Cocktail.
- Mix the vodka, Blue Curacao, apple juice and lime juice together.
- It's potent!
- Fill a tall glass with ice and intersperse with a few raspberries and jicama stars.
- Pour the cocktail mix over the ice and serve with raspberries on a toothpick and a star on the rim.
- One drink is 8 ounces.