This Grasshopper Drink Recipe is an easy 3 ingredient cocktail. It's a mint flavored drink that's turned up a notch by adding chocolate shavings to the rim. Now you can have a great minty grasshopper vegan style!
The grasshopper drink is such a refreshing cocktail. It's minty sweet and is a sipper. Look how pretty it is and that chocolate around the rim really adds a nice little something extra.
This drink is an absolute classic and is actually said to have been invented in 1918. Now that's classic!
Naturally, it had a heyday during the American cocktail era of the 1950's but thank goodness we still serve mixed drinks such as this one on special days and at parties. Not nightly as in the 1950's. 🙂
The cool color and mint flavor comes from creme de menthe. That color makes it extra fun to serve at your house on days such as St. Patrick's Day, Easter, and Mother's Day.
Sip this cocktail or serve after dinner like a dessert. Also remember it has alcohol so - sip.
Grasshopper drink ingredients
- It's a short list of three items but I'll add a couple of extra goodies just to add to your serving bar.
- Crème de menthe liqueur is what gives you the minty flavor.
- Crème de cacao liqueur is clear but adds a vanilla chocolate flavor.
- Dairy free creamer (not sweetened) makes a frothy grasshopper vegan style.
Added cocktail variations
- As in the picture shaved chocolate makes a beautiful rim.
- Use mint chocolate pieces as an extra minty explosion.
- Mint leaves are a pretty dark green color. Use these as a garnish.
How do you shave chocolate
There are two easy and safe ways to shave chocolate. One is with a vegetable peeler. Just hold the chocolate bar in one hand and lightly scrap away from you with the peeler, Do this over a paper towel to catch all the chocolate.
You may get pieces that are too large for the rim of the glass using a vegetable peeler so if you use the small holes on a box grater it works really well.
You could use a Microplane too depending on how large the holes are on it. They have some that are coarse graters.
About creme liqueur
Creme de menthe is French and it stands for mint cream. Distilled mint leaves make the liqueur that comes in clear or green. Go for the green.
Creme de cacoa is spelled two ways - cacoa and cacao and you'll see one of these spellings on liquor bottles. The liquid is clear and tastes wonderful with chocolate and vanilla flavors. It amazingly tastes like chocolate milk but is definitely alcohol.
How to make a Grasshopper Cocktail
I have pictures for you but that is really just for a little extra added encouragement. The recipe is so easy. There are three ingredients and, oh yeah, ice.
These measurements make one cocktail.
If you are wanting a chocolate rim then prepare the glass (or glasses) now. Place the chocolate shavings in a saucer. Rup creme de cacoa around the rim of each glass. Flip over the glass and go straight down onto the chocolate. Turn over the glass and set it aside.
Fill up a cocktail shaker with ice. Measure in the creme de menthe and the creme de cacoa.
Ha! This photo reminds me of a favorite game that I liked to play when I was a child. What is different in these two pictures? 🙂
Now measure in the unsweetened dairy-free creamer. Cover the shaker and vigorously shake it so that you will get a nice frothy drink.
Pour your grasshopper vegan style into your prepared glass and sip away.
Another really popular recipe is a Grasshopper shake. Check out the instructions below.
Grasshopper drink with ice cream
- This is also simple. Get out your blender and skip the dairy-free cream but have some dairy-free vanilla ice cream on hand.
- Measure the creme de menthe and creme de cacoa into the blender.
- Add a couple of scoops of ice cream into the blender
- Blend until well combined.
- This is not for the kiddies but it sure is good.
Yes. It is a liqueur as is creme de cacoa. They can also be enjoyed straight in a small sipper glass for after dinner or as a small aperitif for before dinner.
It came from New Orleans, Louisiana and was invented by a famous chef. And this was way back in 1918. The Grasshopper Drink recipe won the contest and since it is still being enjoyed that proves that it must be a very delicious drink.
Creme of cacoa is made from distilled cacoa and vanilla beans. It can actually be clear or amber in color but it is hard to find the non-clear one. It is called creme for the creamy texture not because there is cream in it. This is a vegan product.
I would love to show you some related recipes but I am trying to decide whether to go with St. Patrick's Day Irish recipes or other delicious cocktails.
I think I'll go with Irish recipes and also the 'wearin' of the green'.
Irish style recipes
- Just lately I put some Mint Cookie Truffles on the blog. They are so pretty and taste so good.
- Sugar Snap Peas with mint and mushrooms are so different from the usual side dish and they are liked by kids and adults alike.
- Use a biscuit cutter for these Brown Bread Irish Scones. They make a great side dish too.
- ¾ ounce Crème de menthe liqueur
- ¾ ounce Creme de cacao liqueur
- 1 ounce Dairy free unsweetened creamer
- Chocolate shavings
- Prepare the rim of a flared glass by dipping the rim in creme de cacao and then dipping the rim in chocolate shavings.
- Fill the cocktail shaker with ice.
- Pour in creme de menthe, creme de cacao, and dairy-free creamer.
- Shake well and pour into the prepared glass.
Mmm I’ll have to make this. I’m excited to see a vegan one. What is non dairy creamer? Brand? Where to buy?
Non Dairy creamer is in every major grocery store now JoAnn and superstore Targets etc. You have to check to make sure it isn't vanilla even if it says unsweetened. It will be sweet. Silk has a soy unsweetened one, Calfia has one, Ripple too. There are many. Look for plastic bottles, up high = usually, near the other creamers or dairy-free milk.