Homemade Kahlua has a perfect balance of sweetness that is shared with coffee and rum. Doesn’t it sound good already? Aged for 2 to 3 weeks.
Homemade Kahlua takes a little effort and the rewards are huge. All you do is put 4 ingredients together and then let it age for about two to three weeks. The result? A perfect coffee flavored liqueur that is excellent for sipping or mixing in many recipes that call for a celebration.
If the word Kahlua is in the title of a dessert it just sounds like something special. One recipe I have on the blog is called Kahlua Truffles. They just seem too special for everyday snacks. That sweetened coffee rum liqueur really puts that treat over the top. You can tell I really like Kahlua. In fact, I really like making homemade liqueurs too. I mentined the holidays so my Copycat Baileys Irish Cream Whisky recipe could be a recipe you’d like to try too.
The holidays are coming up and if you get this Homemade Kahlua recipe going on time you could pour it into beautiful small bottles and give it as a gift. Go ahead and double or triple the recipe for even more gift giving. Or heck, for your own cupboard. Keep it sealed tight and it will stay good three to four years. I kid you not. Of course it wouldn’t last even a year in my house. Maybe a season?
Homemade Kahlua brings back warm memories for me. Not that I got to drink it but I got to share the time with my mom while she made it. Well, don’t get me wrong. I did get a sip and even at 12 I knew Kahlua was a special drink. I have moms original recipe that is written on scratch paper – it is a bit dirty and I cherish it.
Homemade Kahlua has a perfect balance of sweetness that is shared with coffee and rum.
- 2 1/2 cups strong and hot fresh brewed coffee
- 4 cups sugar - organic
- 2 1/4 cups rum
- 1 inch vanilla bean - cut half for aged quality or 3 Tablespoons of a good quality vanilla extract for instant gratification
- Stir sugar into hot coffee and stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Let cool.
- Add the rum and vanilla pieces, stir.
- Cover and let set for 2 to 3 weeks in a cool place.
- Strain, remove beans and bottle.
- If you are using the vanilla extract then stir in and it is ready. It won't have quite the depth of flavor but it is good.
No freezing is necessary. It will keep -almost forever- meaning until you drink it all. Joking aside it keeps about 3 years.