Hobo Raisin Bread is sweet and easy. It is one of those recipes that was passed around in the 60’s and 70’s by all the mothers and aunts because ‘you just had to try the bread’. It was just too easy to pass up. This modernized recipe is no exception. All the ingredients go into one bowl and then they are poured into a loaf pan to bake. It is a dark sweet bread with raisins that is actually very cake like. Moist and great as a breakfast or dessert. After you give it a try I think you will be passing around the recipe too.
- 2 cups raisins
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 cups coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup [url target="_blank" href="http://www.amazon.com/Nutiva-Organic-Extra-Virgin-Coconut-Ounce/dp/B004NTCE1M/?_encoding=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&keywords=coconutoil&linkCode=ur2&qid=1373129219&sr=8-9&tag=veinthfr0a-20"]Organic Coconut Oil[/url][img src="https://ir-na.amazon-adsystem.com/e/ir?t=veinthfr0a-20&l=ur2&o=1" width="1" height="1" border="0" alt="" style="border:none !important; margin:0px !important;" /]
- 1 cup water
- 2 tsp . baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Lightly grease a [url target="_blank" href="http://www.amazon.com/Farberware-Nonstick-Bakeware--5-Inch-Loaf/dp/B00008W70I/?_encoding=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&keywords=loaf%20pan&linkCode=ur2&qid=1375324392&sr=8-1&tag=veinthfr0a-20"]Loaf Pan[/url][img src="http://ir-na.amazon-adsystem.com/e/ir?t=veinthfr0a-20&l=ur2&o=1" width="1" height="1" border="0" alt="" style="border:none !important; margin:0px !important;" /].
- Here goes the extremely easy directions:
- Pour all of the ingredients into a large mixing bowl.
- Mix until just blended.
- Pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake at 350 for 1 hour.
- Cool on a rack for 15 minutes before removing from the pan.
- Remove from pan and let cool completely.
- Eat and enjoy!
- Store in airtight container or freeze.
- The bread keeps a couple of weeks in the refrigerator or you could freeze it for a longer period of time in a rigid sided container. You can pre-slice it if you like.
- See http://veganinthefreezer.com/preparing-food-for-the-freezer for exact directions for freezing.