Healthy Breakfast Burrito is a veggie-packed bundle of goodness. This burrito is layers of flavor upon flavor and served up for breakfast.
One of the healthiest ways to start your day is with the Best Healthy Breakfast Burrito in Town! It’s a veggie-packed bundle of goodness and you’ve come to the right place to find out how to do it.
I want to tell you that I have the burrito whipped and conquered.
There are lots of combinations out there but this one is totally plant-based. Three different veggies are sautéd and then lentils and vegan sausage are added.
Scroll down to the photo of the plate full of the prepared ingredients. Can you imagine a big bite of all of that? Wrapped up in a tortilla for easy handing too.
Don’t forget to come back!
The plant-based sausage links are also fried and then cut into chunks before assembly. You can use your own seitan recipe but make this quick and easy go ahead and buy pre-made breakfast sausages.
The ones from Field Roast are delicious. This isn’t a sponsored post it’s just that this handy product is really good.
This healthy breakfast burrito recipe can also be made ahead of time. Way ahead of time. Like if you’re having company over for the weekend they will keep in the refrigerator safely for three days.
In the morning lay them out on a baking sheet and bake in a preheated 350 oven for 20 minutes. Serve as is or serve with salsa on the side.
Healthy Breakfast Burrito and Friends
I have a couple of other burrito recipes on the blog that they are in this same vein. at now or make ahead.
The reason I love this is that they’re just so easy to throw together.
Slow Cooker Black Bean Burritos are good for breakfast lunch or dinner. It’s great for putting the ingredients in a crockpot and letting them cook while you’re doing other important things.
You can have Vegan Rice and Beef Burritos recipe for lunch or dinner. Here’s a photograph of those burritos.
Tips for making Healthy Breakfast Burritos
Pare and slice and dice and chop all the vegetables before starting to cook
Fry the sausage links to get a nice char before cutting into chunks.
Lay all of your tortillas out on a flat surface side-by-side, assembly style, so that she can evenly disperse all of the filling into each tortilla.
Roll up for dinner and/or wrap some for the future.
Flavor upon flavor and served up for breakfast.
Short and sweet and to the point this breakfast burrito is a favorite because of it’s ease in preparation. Besides tasting delicious they also keep you feeling full right on up to your next meal time.
This post contains affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
Healthy Breakfast Burrito
- 16 ounces dried red lentils
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt , for the lentils
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, divided
- 12 ounces vegan sausage, such as Field Roast
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup green bell pepper
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced (cremini or button - I used button)
- 1/2 cup salsa, your favorite
- 10 whole wheat flour tortillas
- Put the lentils and the teaspoon of salt in a large saucepan. Add water to just cover the top of the lentils.
- Bring to a boil and cover the pot. Turn down to medium-low heat.
- Cook 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and the lentils are tender but not mushy. Set lentils aside.
- In the meantime:
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Brown the sausage on all sides. Set aside.
- Add the prepared onion, bell pepper and mushrooms to the pan. Cook for about 10 minutes. Quite a bit of liquid will cook out of the mushrooms.
- Cut up the "sausage" into small chunks.
- You will have a lot more, of everything, than what is shown on the plate in the photo above. This is just to show you the wonderful ingredients after they are cooked.
- Now place some lentils, bell peppers, onion, mushrooms, "sausage" and salsa down the center of a tortilla. Fold in each side to keep the ingredients from falling out and roll up the burrito. You can see in the photo what they will look like.
- You can eat right away or keep in a tightly covered glass container in the refrigerator for 3 days.
- Heat each burrito in the microwave for 15-20 seconds or bake on a cookie sheet at 350° for 20 minutes.
You can freeze these burritos with no problem whatsoever.
Wrap each burrito individually so that it’s possible to just take one at a time.
After all the tortillas are wrapped place them into one large freezer bag for handy storage.
Remove as many burritos as you want the night before and place in the refrigerator to defrost overnight.
Place on a baking sheet and heat for 20 minutes at 350° for a nice warm breakfast.
The burritos will keep in the freezer for up to six months.