Banana Macadamia Nut Muffins are full of a couple of the great exports of Hawaii. Delicious or as in Hawaiian slang “broke da’ mouth.”
I think I have Hawaii running in my veins. All of the islands, anytime of the year. When I hear the word macadamias – I smile.
Then, when I think of macadamias I think of all the wonderful different species of bananas that are in Hawaii. Oh, oh. Now I am thinking of the beach and my heart is racing.
I’d better settle down and try to rein in this recipe. Quite frankly, it is perfect. Don’t chop the macadamias too small so you can really get that flavor and crunch.
Please try this recipe so you can experience Banana Macadamia Nut Muffins and a few of the passions of Hawaii.
Banana Macadamia Nut Muffins
Banana Macadamia Nut Muffins are full of a couple of the great exports of Hawaii.
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 cups bananas - possibly 2 mashed
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup dairy free butter melted
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1 egg replacer
- 1/2 cup macadamia nuts chopped for the inside of the batter
- 1/2 cup macadamia nuts chopped to sprinkle on the top of the muffins
- Lightly grease 12 muffin tins or use muffin cup liners.
- Mix the egg replacer according to your package directions. Set aside.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, salt and nutmeg.
- Mash the banana and combine with the sugars, vegan butter, almond milk and prepared egg replacer.
- Fold in 1/2 cup of the macadamia nuts.
- Divide evenly among the 12 muffin tins.
- Sprinkle the remainder of the macadamia nuts over the tops of the muffin batter in the tins.
- Bake at 350• for 25 minutes.
- When done baking let set 5 minutes then transfer to a rack to cool completely.
After they have cooled you may freeze them in any of the methods shown in my article Preparing Food for the Freezer .
They defrost quickly so it really doesn't take any planning. The microwave will also zap them in 20 seconds.