This Cruffin Recipe makes simple breakfast pastries that I don't think will ever go out of fashion. It uses crescent rolls so you can imagine how quick and easy it is to make chocolate treats that will be gobbled up.
Here we go with another simple and worthy sweet snack. It can be served at breakfast or as a snack for your craving. One thing for sure it's delicious at any time.
Cruffins have gone crazy out of a little bakery in San Francisco. Of course their dough is croissant dough that is homemade daily out of the back of their storefront. But you can also mimic their breakfast pastries simply at home.
You can make the dough homemade but I also love to offer quick snacks that you and your family can take advantage of. This cruffin recipe seems like you made it all homemade and it's especially nice when you can eat it warm out of the oven.
What is a cruffin
- There are two definitions and both are correct. One is a very easy recipe and one is wholly homemade. Your choice.
- A cruffin is a light flaky pastry dough that is rolled out flat, sliced into strips and then rolled up to look like a rose muffin.
- You can make your own croissant dough and then roll it out and slice it for rolling.
- Buy your favorite crescent roll package and use that as your cruffin base.
- Check out the step by step photos below.
Prepackaged crescent rolls makes a nice light and flaky pastry.
Dairy free butter helps everything taste better.
Chocolate chips add a lot of flavor to an otherwise plain bread taste.
Flour is used for rolling out the dough to help it to keep from sticking.
Preheat the oven to 350° F.
Lightly brush the muffins tins with a little oil.
Open both cans of crescent rolls and roll them out separately on a floured surface. Make sure the perforations are no longer there. I pinch the seams a little and then roll out. You may have to re-pinch here and there.
Spread a small amount of the melted dairy-free butter on one layer of croissant dough. Sprinkle with ¼ cup of chocolate chips.
Top with the second layer of croissant dough.
Slice the dough into long strips. Roll each strip up, similar to a cinnamon roll. You don't have to roll up the dough straight, in fact, it the center sticks out a little it will look a little like a rose after it's baked.
Brush the top of each roll with remaining melted butter.
Place each roll in a prepared muffin tin.
Bake for approximately 20 minutes, or until they are golden brown.
While they are baking, melt ¼ cup chocolate chips in the microwave.
Remove the cruffins from the oven and let cool slightly. Drizzle with melted chocolate.
- You can only imagine all of the goodies that can be substituted for the chocolate chips for such a simple recipe.
- Sprinkle the insides with cinnamon sugar and then sprinkle more on top after they're rolled.
- Grated apple sprinkled with cinnamon sugar and rolled up inside. Sprinkle cinnamon sugar on top.
- Lightly dollop your favorite jam on the inside and then roll-up. Put a pretty dollop right on top after it's out of the oven.
- Lightly sweeten dairy-free cream cheese and spread a little on the inside before rolling. Place a little dollop on the top of that one after baking too.
Now you can see how easy these breakfast pastries are. You can have a chocolate or jam treat any ol' time in just minutes.
A little secret is that you don't have to make them only for breakfast. Go ahead and splurge in the middle of the day too. You never know when that craving is going to be coming your way.
I'd like to tell you how easily they freeze too, because they do, but I have a feeling they'll only be around for a couple of days.
Chocolate chip recipes
- Double Chocolate Chip Cookies are so light and satisfying. They almost melt in your mouth.
- One of the most popular recipes on the blog are these layered Chewy Chocolate Chip Bars.
- Irish Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Muffins are an unusual surprise that offer some extra protein.
- I really need to make a category for chocolate chips. But let me show you one more that is also super simple. Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Balls - yeah!
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This post contains affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
Your opinion means a lot to me and if you'd like to leave a comment and possibly a star rating I'd love to hear your thoughts.
Chocolate Chip Cruffin Recipe
- 2 cans prepackaged crescent rolls - reduced fat to make them vegan and also healthier
- 2 tablespoons dairy free butter
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons flour - for rolling
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Open both cans of croissants and roll them out on a floured surface. Make sure the perforations are no longer there.
- Spread a small amount of the melted butter on one layer of croissant dough. Sprinkle with ¼ cup of chocolate chips.
- Top with the second layer of croissant dough.
- Slice the dough into long strips. Roll each strip up, similar to a cinnamon roll.
- Brush the top of each roll with remaining melted butter.
- Place each roll in a prepared muffin tin.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes, or until they are golden brown.
- While they are baking, melt ¼ cup chocolate chips in the microwave.
- Remove the cruffins from the oven and let cool slightly. Drizzle with melted chocolate.