Rolled Toasted Mushroom Appetizer is something that I don’t think you’ve seen before. Roll the bread flat first, spread with filling , roll up and bake. Delicious!
Mushroom Appetizers Fill the Bill
Appetizers are a staple in our house. They are fun to make and usually very simple.
You can share three of four recipes together and have a well rounded meal with lots of flavor coming from every direction.
Easy to pick up and easy to eat is a little dangerous but I live for danger. Bring it on!
You can never have too many mushroom appetizer recipes if you ask me. They’re very much like cauliflower in the fact that the possibilities seem endless.
Just a quick peek.
You actually flatten the bread slices thin with a rolling pin. Then they roll up so easily and hold their shape.
If you’re going to serve it to family and friends then you may as well print out a few copies of the recipe too because people will be asking for it.
Tips For Making Rolled Toasted Mushroom Appetizers
There is a video above that helps you visualize how to make these rolls but I have a couple more hints for you.
When not filming I take more time and actually cut very close to the crust. Even if the bread has a dome at the top I even cup around that.
All I do is to start rolling at the dome spot so that the final edge of the roll is straight.
I really roll thin and even. Push the rolling pin off the edge of the bread and get the slices evenly flat.
Don’t roll too tight so the filling doesn’t come out the edge. Firm but not tight. You don’t need much filling anyway to make these delicious.
Don’t forget to cut them in half before rolling in dairy free butter. It’s much easier to handle and less messy.
I melt the dairy free butter in a dinner plate in the microwave. Then I pick up the roll and lay it at one edge of the plate.
Then I roll it straight through butter. Just once and then lay it seam side down on the baking sheet.
Bake and try not to eat too many.
This post contains affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
Rolled Toasted Mushroom Appetizer
- 1/2 cup dairy free butter, divided
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, cleaned and finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup dairy free creamer, unsweetened - what you would put in your coffee that is not sweet - coconut cream would work too
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 17 slices whole grain bread
- Heat one tablespoon dairy free butter in skillet.
- Add chopped mushrooms and sauté for five minutes.
- Add flour and salt and cook five minutes.
- Stir in creamer and cook on low 15 minutes.
- Add lemon juice and pepper, stir. Take skillet off burner to cool.
- Cut crusts off of the bread and leave in a square shape.
- Roll each square thin with a rolling pin. You were going to want to be able to roll up these squares.
- Spread one tablespoon mushroom mixture onto each square and roll jelly roll style.
- Melt remaining butter and add to a bowl.
- Cut rolls in half and roll in melted butter.
- Place rolls on baking sheets and bake at 425° for eight minutes or until browned.
Don’t forget to make this Rolled Toasted Mushroom Appetizer over any holiday either. Mother’s Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year’s Eve – Here I Come!
You can freeze them before being rolled in dairy-free butter and bakes. They will keep in the freezer for 3 months.
To bake let them defrost in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours. Roll in the melted butter and place on a baking sheet and bake at 425 degrees for eight minutes until browned.