Slow Cooker Refried Beans is a side dish made with ease. So much tastier and inexpensive than the store bought ones.
I feel very fortunate to have grown up in the southwest Mexican foods like refried beans were in our family’s meal planning since the day I was born. It never occurred to me that everyone was not eating enchiladas and tortillas. I had a rude awakening when I moved to a small town in Georgia and there was not a tortilla anywhere or even a can of refried beans. Granted this was many years ago, but I rolled up my sleeves and taught myself how to make tortillas and refried beans. It was darn good, and in the words of my Georgia born mother-in-law, ‘If I do say so myself’.
Now I have moved on from the original recipe and it turns out I have many different refried bean recipes. This one is one of my favorites and I like the way you can use the crock-pot for ease of meal preparation. Hope you can try it soon.
15 minPrep Time
5 hrCook Time
5 hr, 15 Total Time
- Pick through beans for stones and then rinse the beans.
- Put the pinto beans in a large pot with water to cover, about 6 cups of water.
- Let the pot set all day or overnight and the beans will plump up.
- Drain the water from the beans and put the beans into a slow cooker.
- Cover with fresh water by about 1 to 2 inches.
- Turn on high for 3 hours.
- While the beans are cooking prepare the vegetables.
- In a large skillet add the olive oil and onion. Saute the onion until translucent.
- I have this cool food chopper that works fantastically for chopping vegetables that need to be 'finely chopped'.
- Add the garlic and chili pepper. Cook 2 more minutes.
- Add all the spices to the pan. Cook another minute stirring occasionally. Set aside.
- When the beans are done mash in the crock pot with a potato masher .
- Add the onion mixture and mix well.
- If it is too dry you can add a some more water.
- Turn the slow cooker back on to the low setting.
- Cook 1 hour.
- That's it! The best refried beans and so much healthier than the canned beans.
- If you need to add more liquid at the last hour of the final cooking process you can add some tomato juice or diced tomatoes. It is also a yummy variation. Even a little salsa can be added if your family likes the extra spices.
Use a freezer container and freeze up to 3 months.
TO PREPARE AFTER FREEZING:
Remove from the freezer and put in the refrigerator overnight because it is a pretty solid mass and will take longer to defrost. Heat, covered, in a microwave or in a saucepan. Add a little more liquid if it seems to dry.