Easy Curry Rice is a curry powder recipe with beautifully sautéd vegetables and it also has the perfect combo of rice and peas. Six basic ingredients and only 30 minutes for a rice side dish recipe everyone will love.
This Curry Rice recipe is an easy-to-make side dish. There are chopped fresh green onions for the garnish and there’s an extra punch of natural sweetness with peas.
The flavor has an ethnic flare - think Mid-East or Asian meals—yet it's not too overpowering so it can be served as a complimentary side with any American style meal.
Whichever way you choose to use it, you can’t go wrong.
The rice gets jazzed up with fine curry powder. Curry in itself is a unique blend of spices, which can differ significantly in taste and heat intensity.
I also like how it adds warmth and changes up the rice enough to make it taste very different.
This savory, earthy spice comes with a bit of heat, but there's just enough added as to not overpower the dish.
Note: I use an Indian type of curry powder in this dish. You can substitute it with a Jamaican curry powder which is a tad milder in its intensity and slightly sweeter!
A Simple Spiced Curry Rice Recipe
Along with the onions, there is also green bell pepper. When sautéd these versatile vegetables not only add a great aroma and a different taste, but they give that mildly crunchy texture that perfectly compliments a softer cooked grain.
Peas are a wonderful sweet vegetable and they also add great contrast to the flavors. They get added right at the end and add that beautiful pop of color. The mild sweetness is irresistible when combined with rice.
And last but certainly not least, you got to top it off with some raw scallions, or fresh marjoram, if you have it on hand.
They add a subtle earthy punch and beautiful green color. It is optional, but I highly recommend it!
I'm a big fan of deliciously spiced rice dishes because it makes for quick and easy sides.
Not only that but this curry rice recipe is super versatile. You can add many other vegetables or healthy faux meat protein for an amazing main dish.
Curry Rice and Peas Variations:
- You can pre-steam some red potatoes and then add the chopped pieces to the dish before it’s final heating.
- Any faux meat such as a faux chicken type of meatless protein or your own homemade seitan would be really nice. Cut them into smaller pieces before adding to the dish and it makes a great main meal.
- Add a splash of coconut milk at the end and heat through for a creamier dish.
- You can switch up the rice for basmati for a stickier type of rice.
THE EASE OF A RICE COOKER
- This recipe calls for a rice cooker. But you can, of course, make the rice the traditional way on a stovetop or even use an Instant pot if you already own one.
- Because rice is a regular staple in my vegan diet, I have grown to love this little kitchen appliance. If you have one or are thinking about getting one, here are some reasons why I love mine so much.
- Convenience isn’t the only reason:
- I love that I can just switch it on and do other things. I mean, it is as simple as adding uncooked rice, a liquid, pop on the lid and turn on the heat.
- It gets rice perfectly cooked every time. It's never mushy or too watery. I know that it just makes for better and fluffier rice no matter the type of grain I choose.
- Rice cookers are really affordable. There is one for almost every budget, and they can easily be stored away.
- You can also choose one that doesn’t take much space on your kitchen counter and maybe choose a pretty color.
- You can easily use it for other things too, such as cooking lentils or steaming vegetables. A little booklet comes with rice makers and helps you with cooking times.
Not to worry if you don’t want to invest in one or you already have an all-purpose machine. You can cook this rice in any of your favorite ways. I just wanted to point out how rice cookers are to use.
More Easy Rice Side Dishes
I have over 20 on the blog but here are just a few that offer up different ethnic tastes.
- Vegan Spanish Rice and Beans is a nice change-up and is so very delicious.
- You can use an air fryer or not for this Sticky Mushroom Rice recipe.
- Acadian Black Beans and Rice is also one of my most popular rice recipes.
- Another simple dish is for the crockpot and it is Healthy Slow Cooker Mushrooms and Rice.
I hope you’ll like this versatile and healthy rice recipe that you can have ready in about 30 minutes, including prep time! YAY!
What Do You Think?
If you take a photo of your spiced just right rice and peas dish I would love to see it. Follow me over on Instagram and tag me on your photo @vegan_in_the_freezer.
Easy Curry Rice Recipe
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 16 ounces vegetable broth
- 1 cup green bell pepper- one bell pepper
- ½ cup white onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup peas - fresh or frozen
- 2 fresh green onions, cut, for sprinkling over the top when serving - I also use fresh marjoram when it is in my garden
- Cook the rice with the vegetable broth and to make it super easy use a Rice Cooker. Otherwise, use the instructions on your rice package.
- While the rice is cooking - in a large skillet - saute the chopped onion and green bell pepper in one tablespoon water until the onion is translucent. About 10 to 15 minutes.
- Stir in the curry powder, salt and pepper.
- Stir on low for 5 minutes.
- Add the cooked rice and frozen peas to the skillet mixture and heat through.
- Serve with the chopped green onions sprinkled over the top.