Something about sweet watermelon, tangy feta cheese, crunchy cucumbers, and savory red onion screams summertime! This watermelon salad is a flavorful treat that can be made in minutes. It's perfect if you're having friends over or simply looking to enjoy a quick bite without any fuss.
Table of Contents
Why You'll Love This Watermelon Salad Recipe
Refreshing- This watermelon salad is the perfect blend of sweet and savory flavors. It's a great way to beat the summer heat!
Colorful- Step aside boring salads; this vibrant plate will be a talking point at your next event! This delicious summer salad is sure to impress with its striking colors and tantalizing flavors.
Simple- With just a few ingredients and minimal prep time, you can have this juicy watermelon cucumber salad ready in no time.
No Cook Recipe- There's no need to turn on the oven or stovetop for this recipe. All you need to do is mix up the ingredients and enjoy!
What Is Watermelon Salad?
Watermelon salad is a refreshing summer dish that combines sweet watermelon with salty feta cheese, crunchy cucumbers, and savory red onions. A simple vinaigrette binds the ingredients together to create an incredibly flavorful and colorful dish. This vegan recipe is perfect for barbecues, potlucks, or a light lunch!
- Sharp Knife
- Cutting Board
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Small Bowl
- Large Spoon
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- Seedless Watermelon- Watermelon is the star ingredient of this salad. It adds a sweet and juicy flavor to the salad.
- English Cucumber- For a nice crunch and texture.
- Red Onion- Adds a pop of color and savory flavor.
- Fresh Mint Leaves- For a hint of sweetness and a fresh flavor.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil- This is the base of the vinaigrette.
- Fresh Lime Juice- Adds a bright acidic flavor.
- Kosher Salt- Enhances the flavor of the salad.
- Ground Black Pepper- To taste.
- Vegan Feta Cheese- Adds a creamy, salty, and tangy flavor.
How To Make Chopped Watermelon Mint Salad
To start, you'll want to cube the fresh watermelon, dice the cucumbers, thinly slice the red onion and finely chop up some mint. Mix together these ingredients in a large bowl before whisking in the extra virgin olive oil, lime juice, salt, and pepper in a separate small bowl. Generously drizzle this dressing over your delightful seasonal mix before topping it off with vegan feta cheese! Serve immediately for an unbeatable taste experience.
What to Serve With Vegan Watermelon Salad
Vegan watermelon salad pairs nicely with a variety of dishes. Try serving it alongside roasted vegetables, grilled tofu, or vegan pasta salad for an all-around summer feast. Alternatively, you can enjoy this delicious dish on its own as a light yet satisfying lunch!
This vegan watermelon salad will surely be a hit, no matter how you serve it up. Its sweet and savory flavors will make it a regular in your summer rotation!
Popular Substitutions & Additions
This vegan watermelon cucumber salad is super versatile and can easily be customized to taste. Here are some ideas:
- Swapping out the vegan feta for vegan ricotta, blue cheese, or crumbled tofu
- Adding some diced avocado for a creamy flavor and texture
- Replacing lime juice with freshly squeezed orange juice or lemon juice.
- For a bit of heat, adding sliced jalapenos would do the trick.
- Experiment with different herbs, such as fresh basil instead of fresh mint leaves, or add some freshly grated ginger or lime zest.
Can You Freeze Watermelon Salad?
While watermelon salad can be stored in the refrigerator for up to four days, it's not recommended to freeze it. The ingredients are likely to change texture and taste when frozen, and they won't hold their shape after defrosting.
Vegan Watermelon Salad FAQs
How do I store watermelon salad?
Watermelon salad should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to four days.
Can I make this dish ahead of time?
Yes, you can prepare the ingredients and the dressing separately and then combine them before serving.
Is this recipe gluten-free?
Yes, this watermelon salad is naturally gluten-free.
Can I add protein to this recipe?
Absolutely! Add some cooked quinoa, lentils, or chickpeas to make it a complete meal. You can also add grilled tofu, tempeh, or vegan meat substitutes for an extra boost of protein.
Is vegan watermelon salad good for you?
Absolutely! This incredibly refreshing salad is packed with fresh ingredients, vitamins, minerals, and fiber. The olive oil and vegan feta add healthy fats to the mix, making it a well-rounded meal.
Vegan Watermelon Salad
- 3 cups Watermelon - cubed
- 1 ½ cups English Cucumber - diced
- ½ cup Red onion - thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint
- ¼ cup Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Fresh lime juice
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon Ground black pepper
- ½ cup Dairy free feta cheese - cubed
- In a large bowl, combine watermelon, cucumbers, onions, and mint.
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, lime juice, salt, and pepper.
- Drizzle the dressing over the watermelon mixture and toss lightly to coat.
- Sprinkle with vegan feta cheese.
- Serve immediately.
- Cover tightly and store leftovers in the refrigerator up to 1 day.