Vegan mashed sweet potatoes are simple, flavorful, and pure. These earthy spuds are creamed to perfection with a touch of salt, delivering an irresistible sensation for your taste buds.
Table of Contents
Why You'll Love This Vegan Mashed Sweet Potatoes Recipe
- Simple Ingredients- Sweet potato mash is made with all-natural, simple ingredients you probably already have in your kitchen.
- Quick To Make- Vegan mashed sweet potatoes take less than 30 minutes to complete, making them an excellent option for busy weeknights or last-minute dinner parties.
- Versatile Side Dish- This mashed sweet potato recipe pairs well with various main dishes, making it a versatile side dish you can enjoy anytime.
What Are Mashed Sweet Potatoes?
Most mashed sweet potato recipes use boiled, steamed, or roasted sweet potatoes and then mash them with other sweet or savory ingredients. They are similar to mashed potatoes but have a slightly sweeter flavor and smoother texture. Mashed sweet potatoes can be served as a sweeter alternative to traditional potatoes or a tasty addition to any meal.
- Large Pot With Lid
- Steaming Basket
- Vegetable Peeler
- Sharp Knife
- Cutting Board
- Large Bowl
- Potato Masher
- Sweet Potatoes- The star of this dish! Sweet potatoes are a naturally sweet root veggie that adds a sweet, slightly nutty flavor and a vibrant orange color.
- Vegan Butter- Provides richness and flavor to the sweet potatoes.
- Salt (Optional)- Enhances the taste of the savory mashed sweet potatoes.
How To Make Vegan Easy Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Prep- Start by peeling and cutting the sweet potatoes into small cubes.
- Steam- Place the sweet potato cubes in a steaming basket inside a large pot over boiling water and cover with a lid. Steam for 20 minutes or until fork tender.
- Mash- Transfer the steamed sweet potatoes to a large bowl and add vegan butter and salt (if using). Use a potato masher to mash everything together until smooth and creamy.
- Serve- Transfer the mashed sweet potatoes to a serving dish and enjoy as a delicious side dish with your favorite meal!
Popular Substitutions And Additions
- Milk- For a creamier and slightly sweeter mashed sweet potato, substitute ½ of the vegan butter for coconut milk, soy milk, unsweetened almond milk, oat milk,
- Savory- Add some fresh herbs such as parsley or rosemary for a more savory flavor. Garlic powder and pepper will also add another depth of flavor to the sweet potato mash.
- Sweet- Although sweet potatoes provide a natural sweetness, you can take it up a notch by adding maple syrup, brown sugar, ground cinnamon, and nutmeg before serving.
- Extras- Candied or raw pecans, orange zest, and marshmallows all make excellent additions to this easy mashed sweet potato recipe.
Can I Freeze Vegan Mashed Sweet Potatoes?
Yes, you can freeze vegan mashed sweet potatoes for up to 3 months. Allow them to cool completely and transfer to an airtight container before placing them in the freezer. When ready to eat, thaw in the refrigerator overnight and reheat in the microwave or stove. You may need to add vegan butter or dairy-free milk while reheating the sweet potato mash to maintain its creamy texture.
Perfect Mashed Sweet Potatoes Recipe FAQs
What is the best way to store leftover vegan mashed sweet potatoes?
Leftover mashed sweet potatoes can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. To reheat, simply microwave or heat on the stove until warmed through.
Can I use a food processor instead of a potato masher?
Yes, you can use a blender or food processor to mash the sweet potatoes, but be careful not to overmix, as this can result in a gluey texture. If using a blender or food processor, pulse until smooth and creamy rather than continuously blending.
How big should my cubed sweet potatoes be?
There is no exact size for the sweet potato cubes, as long as they are similar in size to ensure even cooking. However, smaller cubes will cook faster than larger ones.
Can I make vegan mashed sweet potatoes ahead of time?
Yes, you can make mashed sweet potatoes and reheat them before serving. Follow the recipe as directed and store the sweet potatoes in the refrigerator. When ready to serve, reheat in the microwave or on the stove until warmed, adding a little extra vegan butter or coconut milk if needed.
Vegan Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- 1 lb Sweet potato
- 1 tbsp Vegan butter or coconut oil
- Salt, to taste if making savory
- Pour 2-inches of water in a saucepot.
- Insert a steaming basket or any heat-proof basket that fits your pot.
- Peel and chop potato to equal cubes.
- Arrange the potatoes in a steaming basket. Cover with a lid and steam for 20 minutes.
- Transfer the potatoes into a bowl.
- Add Vegan butter or coconut oil, and mash using a potato masher.