A delicious twist on the classic dish. This vegan version of the soup is made with earthy sliced onions and vegetable broth, then seasoned with herbs for an incredibly flavorful experience. It's also surprisingly easy to make—just caramelize your onions, add in some garlic, herbs, and broth, and let it simmer away!
Why You'll Love This Vegan Onion Soup Recipe
Minimal Prep Time- This soup is surprisingly easy to make, with minimal prep work to get the soup started.
Warm and Comforting- A hot bowl of vegan French onion soup will warm you up and make you feel right at home. This vegan French onion soup is sure to become your go-to comfort food.
Delicious- The rich, flavorful broth, caramelized onions, and vegan cheese combine to create a unique and incredibly delicious vegan dish.
Aromatic- There's something about the classic French onion soup that will make your kitchen smell amazing! The combination of herbs and vegetables will fill your home with an irresistible aroma.
What Is French Onion Soup?
French onion soup is a classic French soup made from caramelized onions, beef broth, and topped with melted cheese. This plant-based version of the dish takes all the same flavors you love and substitutes animal-based ingredients for vegan-friendly ones. The result? An incredibly delicious French onion soup that's perfect for cozy nights in or a special meal for your vegan friends and family.
- Cutting Board
- Stirring Spoon
- Ceramic Ramekins
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- Vegan Butter- Helps to caramelize the onions.
- Onions- Thinly sliced caramelized onions add a subtly sweet flavor and depth to your vegetarian French onion soup.
- Dried Thyme- Gives the soup a delectable, savory aroma.
- Garlic Cloves- Adds a subtle hint of garlic and boost the overall taste of the soup.
- Vegan Red Wine- For a deep rich flavor.
- Flour- Helps to thicken the soup and creates a smooth texture.
- Vegetable Stock- Adds a light and flavorful base to the soup.
- Bay Leaves- Gives the soup an aromatic, herbal taste.
- French Baguette- For a nice crunch.
- Vegan Mozzarella Cheese- Provides a creamy, melty, golden brown topping for the soup.
How To Make Vegan French Onion Soup
Making French onion soup is easier than you'd initially think! In a saucepot, melt the butter over medium heat. Toss in onions and cane sugar, stirring occasionally for about 45 minutes. Let the onions cook until they are caramelized to perfection. Slowly stir in dried thyme with the caramelized onions and sauté for 30 seconds before deglazing the pot with red wine. Sprinkle in the flour and cook for approximately a minute. Carefully pour in the veggie stock and allow it to simmer, still on medium heat, for 15 minutes. After preheating the broiler, fill individual ramakins with warm soup about halfway. Place a piece of baguette bread in the middle and pour more soup over the bread until completely covered. Top off your creation with vegan cheese before placing each ramekin under the broiler until the cheese is melted and has turned deep golden brown. Serve this delightful vegan French onion soup as desired, and enjoy!
What to Serve With French Onion Soup
With its rich and savory taste, this delicious soup is a complete meal on its own, but if you're looking to pair it with something else for a more filling experience, here are some suggestions:
• A simple green salad with your favorite dressing.
• Roasted vegetables such as carrots, potatoes, and sweet potatoes.
• Freshly baked vegan dinner rolls.
• A side of crunchy plantain chips for a nice contrast in texture.
If you have been craving French onion soup, this recipe is sure to satisfy you no matter what you choose to serve it with.
Popular Substitutions & Additions
While this vegan French onion soup recipe is delicious as-is, you can also make some changes to switch things up a bit.
- Substitute the vegetable stock for mushroom broth for an extra earthy taste.
- Add sliced mushrooms, broccoli, diced carrots, or steamed potatoes to the mix for added texture.
- If you want more protein in your soup, try adding white beans or tofu.
- For a bit of a sweet and spicy taste, add some black pepper, diced jalapeños, or red pepper flakes to the recipe.
- Add vegan croutons on top instead of French baguette slices for more of a crunch.
- Top your dish off with crumbled vegan bacon and chives for a unique, flavorful combination.
- Use a different type of crusty bread, such as rye or sourdough bread, instead of the baguette.
- Low-sodium vegetable broth, homemade broth, and store-bought vegetable broth are all great alternatives to veggie stock.
- Vegan beef broth, beef stock, or chicken broth will add an extra meaty flavor.
- Instead of vegan mozzarella, use other vegan cheese varieties like vegan cheddar or pepper jack.
Can You Freeze Vegan French Onion Soup?
Absolutely! To save your soup for later, ensure it's cooled completely before transferring it to a freezer-safe container and stowing away in the freezer. This will keep the soup good for up to three months. When you want something warm and comforting, simply thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating on the stovetop or in the microwave until piping hot - then enjoy! Any remaining leftover soup will stay fresh when kept tightly inside a storage container in the fridge for about 3 days.
Vegan French Onion Soup FAQs
Can I substitute the vegan butter for olive oil?
Yes! You can choose to use either vegan butter or olive oil when caramelizing your onions.
Is there a way to make this a vegan French onion gluten-free soup?
Absolutely! Instead of using baguette bread, you can use gluten-free bread instead.
Can I add other vegetables to this vegan French onion soup recipe?
Yes, you can definitely add in your favorite veggies! Feel free to try adding mushrooms, peppers, potatoes, or broccoli to the vegan French onion soup for more texture and flavor.
How long does vegan French onion soup last?
This vegan French onion soup will keep fresh when stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. It can also be frozen for up to three months.
Vegan French Onion Soup
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 3 onions thinly sliced
- ½ tsp organic cane sugar
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 cloves garlic sliced
- ¼ cup Vegan red wine
- 2 tbsp flour
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2-3 small bay leaves
- French baguette toasted as desired
- Vegan Mozzarella like Miyoko's Creamery Fresh VeganMozz Artisan Cheese or Field Roast, Chao Vegan Slices Creamy Original
- Melt butter in a saucepot, over medium heat.
- Add onions and cane sugar. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 45 minutes or until the onions are caramelized.
- Add thyme and garlic. Cook for 30 seconds.
- Add red wine to deglaze the pot.
- Add flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Pour in vegetable stock, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Ladle warm soup into ramekins, up to half. Add baguette bread and ladle the soup over the bread.
- Top the soup with Vegan cheese and broil until the cheese is melted.
- Serve soup warm.
Leave a Reply