Vegan chicken salad is a twist on traditional chicken salad that uses chickpeas, vegan mayo, crunchy veggies, and flavorful seasonings. It's an easy, nutritious meal!
Table of Contents
What Is Chicken Salad?
Classic chicken salad has been around for generations. Traditionally, it's made with chicken, mayonnaise, celery, and red onion and served between two pieces of bread, atop a bed of lettuce, or eaten right out of a bowl.
What's so special about mock chicken salad? It's one of the best recipes to incorporate leftovers from a previous meal and create something exciting and new! Not to mention, this recipe is incredibly versatile.
Chicken salad has always been one of my favorite go-to meals, primarily when I hunt for something quick and easy. Whether accompanying a cozy dinner at home or being packed in my lunchbox to take on the go, it is a great way to add flavor and nutrition to any meal. Even better? You can enjoy chicken salad even if you are vegan! With a few simple replacements like chickpeas, also called garbanzo beans, and vegan mayo, and incorporating other vegan-friendly ingredients like lettuce, red onion, and tomatoes, anyone can make their own unique version of vegetarian chicken salad.
Why You'll Love This Vegan Chicken Salad Recipe
No Cook Recipe- You don't need to turn on the stove! Combine some simple ingredients, and you'll have a delicious, easy vegan chicken salad in no time.
A Crowd Pleaser- Everyone loves chicken salad! It's the perfect party food; everyone will ask you for the recipe.
Simple Ingredients- This vegan chickpea chicken salad recipe has simple ingredients, like chickpeas, vegan mayo, celery, and onion. No hard-to-find ingredients here!
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Potato Masher (Optional)
- Cutting Board
- Spoon For Stirring
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- Canned Chickpeas- The star of the show! Make sure to drain and rinse them before using them.
- Celery- Adds a nice crunchy texture to the salad.
- Red Onion- A mild flavored onion that adds some crunch.
- Chicken Seasoning Blend- This combines garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, cayenne pepper, and salt. It gives the vegan chickpea salad a nice chicken-like flavor.
- Garlic Powder- Adds a bit of garlic flavor to the mock chicken salad.
- Dill- Fresh or dried dill adds a subtle hint of flavor.
- Black Pepper- For an extra pop of flavor.
- Salt- A pinch of salt to bring out the flavors.
- Apple Cider Vinegar- Gives a bit of tanginess.
- Vegan Mayonnaise- Vegan mayo gives the vegan chicken salad a creamy texture and flavor.
How To Make Vegan Chicken Salad
This vegan chicken salad recipe is so simple; anyone could follow it! Just start by draining and rinsing the canned chickpeas. Then add them to a large bowl and mash with a fork or potato masher, ensuring not to over-mash the chickpeas. Leave some chunks for texture. Finally, stir in the celery, red onion, seasonings, and vegan mayo until combined.
Allow the salad to chill in the fridge for 30 minutes before you serve it. And that's all there is to it! You can't get much easier than that. I hope you enjoy it!
How To Serve Vegan Chicken Salad
This chickpea chicken salad is excellent as a sandwich filling, on top of a bed of lettuce, or simply by itself. Serve vegan chicken salad with some chips and veggies for a tasty vegan lunch that everyone will love! It's also perfect for taking to a potluck or picnic.
Popular Substitutions & Additions
Want to try something different? Feel free to switch up the ingredients or add some additional flavors. Here are a few ideas:
- Add some diced apples, red grapes, green grapes, or raisins for a sweet crunch.
- Swap out the chicken seasoning blend for homemade poultry seasoning, curry powder, Italian seasoning, or other fresh herbs and spices like onion powder, garlic powder, and fresh dill.
- Add some chopped pecans, almonds, walnuts, or sunflower seeds.
- Trade celery and onions for bell peppers, carrots, cucumbers, green onions, or other veggies.
- Mix lemon juice with the vegan mayo for a tangy yet delicious vegan chicken salad.
There are so many possibilities! Have fun creating your own unique vegan chickpea chicken salad recipe.
Can You Freeze Vegan Chicken Salad?
Store vegan chicken salad in the fridge for up to 4-5 days. However, it does not freeze well, and I would not recommend freezing it.
Vegan Chicken Salad FAQs
Do I have to use a chicken seasoning blend?
No, you can leave it out or substitute it with another herb or spice you choose.
Can I use dried herbs instead of fresh ones in this vegan chicken salad recipe?
Yes, absolutely! If using dried herbs, reduce them by half, as they are more potent than fresh.
Is it better to buy canned chickpeas or cook them myself?
Ultimately, the choice is yours; both work well! I prefer to use canned goods because they're simpler.
Can I make this chicken salad ahead of time?
Yes! You can make this salad up to 5 days ahead of time. Store it in an airtight container in the fridge until you're ready to serve.
Vegan Chicken Salad
- 12 oz canned chickpeas rinsed, drained
- ½ cup celery chopped
- ½ cup red onion chopped
- 1 tsp chicken seasoning blend
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dill
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ¾ cup vegan mayonnaise
- Place chickpeas into a large bowl.
- Mash the chickpeas with a fork, leaving some chunks. You do not want to have chickpeas paste.
- Add celery, onion, chicken seasoning, garlic powder, dill, black pepper, salt, and Vegan mayonnaise.
- Stir the ingredients until well combined.
- Refrigerate the salad for 30 minutes, and serve as desired.