Stars Shortbread Cookies will add a lot of color to your table and put smiles on everyone’s faces. I never met a person who didn’t like shortbread cookies.
Our Patriotic holiday is on the way and it is so fun to celebrate. All across the nation the weather seems to be just right in July. Parades and parties abound with lots of activities and fireworks. Our nations red, white and blue is everywhere.
The excitement is in the air with menus and activities being planned. From the beaches to the mountain tops people are running around anticipating the fun. There will be sandwiches and side dishes galore where potato salads and baked beans are stars. One other star that is abundant are cookies.
These cute stars are easy to make and they melt in your mouth just like shortbread cookies should. Lorna Doone’s were one of my favorite’s growing up but they are also one of the most expensive cookies you can buy. Well, you can make your own at home a whole lot cheaper and make them festive too.
Not only are Stars Shortbread Cookies fun to make but they are also a lot of fun to make with children. You can roll out the dough and, depending on the child’s age, let them use the cookie cutter and sprinkles or both. I have fun sprinkling and then standing back for the view. Sprinkles are just that much fun.
I use to have to buy my actual sugar sprinkles through Amazon because that was the only place I could find vegan sprinkles. About 2 months ago I saw them at the grocery store. I think it was Safeway so that means they are probably everywhere now. Of course, you can always make your own.
Keep this recipe around because you can use it over and over with any other cookie cutters and colored sugars you like to match the celebration. But for now stars it is!
Have a wonderful long weekend!
Stars Shortbread Cookies
Stars Shortbread Cookies will add a lot of color to your table and put smiles on everyone's faces.
- 3 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 cups dairy free butter softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar organic
- 2 teaspoons almond extract organic
- 3/4 cup cornstarch non GMO organic
- red and blue sugar sprinkles natural vegan options
- Mix the flour, organic powdered sugar and organic cornstarch together. Set aside.
- In a large bowl beat the vegan butter until creamy.
- Mix in the dry ingredients and almond extract. Mix well.
- Separate the dough into two balls. Wrap in plastic wrap and slightly flatten.
- Place in the refrigerator for one hour.
- Take one of the balls out of the refrigerator.
- Place the ball onto a cookie sheet and roll out to about 1/3" thick.
- Cut stars close to each other on the cookie sheet but not touching.
- Remove the excess dough between and around the stars. You will reuse this dough.
- Sprinkle the stars with the colored sugar before baking.
- I placed a smaller star on top of the cut out star and sprinkled sugar inside. This gives a pretty nice edge and keeps the excess sugar from going onto the cookie sheet.
- If you do not have a smaller star cookie cutter just sprinkle on the sugar.
- Bake at 350• for 12 minutes.
- Cook on wire rack.
- Repeat the process until all of the dough is used.