Shortbread cookies are a rich, buttery treat with a crumbly texture that melts in your mouth. These classic cookies are simple to make and loved by everyone!
Table of Contents
Why You'll Love This Vegan Shortbread Cookie Recipe
- Delicious- Shortbread cookies have a rich, buttery flavor and soft, crumbly texture, making them melt in your mouth.
- Simple Ingredients- This cookie recipe only requires 4 ingredients that you probably already have at home.
- Great For Any Occasion- Whether you are looking for a sweet treat to enjoy with afternoon tea, a dessert to impress guests, or something festive to bring to a party, these shortbread cookies are perfect no matter the occasion.
- Powdered Cane Sugar- Provides these vegan shortbread cookies with their classic sweet flavor and texture.
- Vegan Butter- Softened butter gives shortbread cookies the decadent buttery flavor they are known for.
- Vanilla Extract- Adds a bit of sweetness and aromatic vanilla flavor.
- All-Purpose Flour- Enhances the texture of the shortbread cookies and gives them structure.
How To Make Vegan Shortbread Cookies
- Beat- In a large mixing bowl, beat the powdered sugar and the softened vegan butter until fluffy. Add the vanilla extract and beat again.
- Fold- Fold in the flour and stir until the cookie dough is formed.
- Refrigerate- Transfer the bowl to the refrigerator to cool for about 30 minutes.
- Prep- While the dough is chilling, preheat the oven to 350F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Press- Once cool, put the shortbread dough between 2 pieces of parchment paper and hand press out the dough until it is ⅓ inch thick.
- Cut- Using a cookie cutter, cut out the dough. Gather the unused dough, press it back out, and cut again. Repeat until you have used all of the dough.
- Bake- Arrange the cookies on the prepared baking sheets and bake for 12-15 minutes or until they turn golden brown.
- Cool- Allow the shortbread cookies to cool completely on a wire rack, then enjoy them as desired.
- If you want your baked goods to have a lighter and crumblier texture, use an electric hand mixer or a stand mixer to beat the vegan butter and sugar together. This will create a light, fluffy mixture that adds air to the dough.
- When making cookies, it's super important to handle the dough carefully and work quickly to ensure it doesn't get too warm and become challenging to work with.
- I suggest using powdered sugar over granulated sugar. It's got a finer texture and dissolves more quickly, so you'll get a smoother and more delicate crumbly texture for your cookies. Plus, powdered sugar gives that classic sweet, buttery flavor that we all love in shortbread. If you use granulated sugar instead, you will have a crunchier cookie that tastes slightly different.
Popular Substitutions And Additions
- Flour- Swap out traditional all-purpose flour for almond flour, coconut flour, or a gluten-free flour blend to make these shortbread cookies gluten-free.
- Butter- Use coconut oil or vegan margarine in place of vegan butter.
- Extract- I love experimenting with different flavors in my shortbread cookies! Add other extracts like almond, lemon, and orange or spices like cinnamon and nutmeg. Be careful not to overdo it, as they can be intense. Start with a small amount and adjust to your taste preferences.
- Chocolate Chips- Mix some mini vegan chocolate chips for a more decadent treat.
- Nuts- Chopped nuts like almonds, pecans, or hazelnuts will add a nice crunch to your cookies.
Shortbread Cookie Storage
You can keep vegan shortbread cookies at room temperature in an airtight container for up to a week. If you want to store them for a little longer, you can put them in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
However, if you plan to store them for even longer, place the cookies in an airtight container or resealable plastic bag and store them in the freezer for up to 2 months.
When you're ready to eat them, just let the frozen cookies thaw at room temperature for a few hours before enjoying them. Once thawed, store them at room temperature or in the fridge for 3 days.
Vegan shortbread cookies
- ⅓ cup powdered cane sugar like 365
- ¾ cup Vegan butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- Beat powdered cane sugar with Vegan butter until fluffy in a large bowl.
- Add vanilla extract and beat well.
- Fold in flour and stir until the dough comes together.
- Refrigerate the dough for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll the dough between two pieces of parchment paper to ⅓ inch thick.
- Cut out the dough using a cookie cutter. Gather the dough and roll it out again until all is used.
- Arrange the cookies on two baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
- Bake the cookies for 12-15 minutes.
- Cool completely on a wire rack before serving.