Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes makes life a little easier. Red potatoes cook in a vegetable broth then a few more additions and voila – The Perfect side dish.
Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes makes life a little easier. You still have to peel the potatoes but what is great is that you can walk away and let the crock~pot do the cooking.
You take a nice milder potato, like a red potato, to make a side dish that is special. The potatoes cook in a vegetable broth which adds lots of flavor.
After a couple of hours there is a little bit of preparation and then your special side dish can be held in the slow cooker for up to 2 hours. That really does make life nicer.
You could even go rustic and lightly mash the potatoes so that there are, kind of, small chunks. That is really good too.
In fact, that has become a thing with me. Well, wait. I need to back up a bit.
We really don’t go out to dinner too often. Like never. That’s what I get for actually liking to cook!
When we eat out it is always for lunch when we go to the ‘big city’ and have a shopping day. So, I order appetizers for lunch.
Start with beautiful pared and chopped red potatoes. Load them in the crockpot then –
Just add broth, cook a couple of hours and follow the directions below to turn out some easy and creamy mashed potatoes.
You may ask what is another side dish/appetizer that would go well with these potatoes? My list is long but one is fresh on my mind because I just put it on the blog last week.
It’s these Crescent Roll Pesto Appetizers. What a great match. Check them out and they are super easy to make.
Can You Freeze Mashed Potatoes?
- Yes! I’ve done it often.
- IF FREEZING:
- Pack into a rigid sided freezer safe container and lid. Freeze up to 4 months.
- TO PREPARE AFTER FREEZING:
- Put in the fridge the day before serving. After defrosting the liquid may separate from the mashed potatoes somewhat but that is no big deal. Non-dairy milk tends to do this more than dairy milk.
- Just remix and heat. Heat in a microwave on high, stirring about every 2 minutes until heated through. Serve up and it will be delicious!
- Just like it was freshly made.
Want to try these Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes?
PIN IT to your Side Dish or Slow Cooker board to save for later!
Find me on Pinterest for more great recipes!
With these mashed potatoes I would probably serve a big green salad full of goodies, baked mushrooms stuffed with lentils and then a simple veggie like carrots or peas.
Plenty of food, lots of nourishment, a big variety, and good eating.
Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes
- 2 1/2 to 3 pounds red potatoes
- 24 ounces vegetable broth low sodium if you'd like to watch your intake
- 3 tablespoons dairy free butter
- 1/4 cup dairy free milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth reserved
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Peel the potatoes and cut into large chunks. Place in a slow cooker.
- Pour the broth over the potatoes to cover.
- Cook on high for 2 hours.
- Drain the potatoes over a large bowl and save the broth.
- Put the potatoes back into the slow cooker and add the vegan butter and the 1/4 cup reserved vegetable broth.
- Mix with a hand mixer.
- Add the soy milk and salt and pepper and mix again.
- Serve or keep warm up to 2 hours.
- If you are keeping it warm - cover and turn to low.
- When ready to serve - stir and if it seems like it has thickened add some more of the reserved broth and mix well.
- You can hold mashed potatoes in the refrigerator for 3 days and they can be heated in the microwave.
- Heat and stir and heat and stir etc. until hot all the way through. They taste just like freshly mashed potatoes.