Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes makes life a little easier. Red potatoes cook in a vegetable broth then a few more additions and voila – The Perfect side dish.
Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes makes life a little easier. You still have to peel the potatoes but what is great is that you can walk away and let the crock~pot do the cooking.
You take a nice milder potato, like a red potato, to make a side dish that is special. The potatoes cook in vegetable broth which adds lots of flavor.
After a couple of hours there is a little bit of preparation and then your special side dish can be held in the slow cooker for up to 2 hours. That really does make life nicer.
You could even go rustic and lightly mash the potatoes so that there are, kind of, small chucks. That is really good too.
Our dinners are very much like multiple side dishes. It really is fun this way – sort of like ordering appetizers for your dinner in restaurants. In fact, that has become a thing with me. Well, wait. I need to back up a bit.
We really don’t go out to dinner too often. Like never. That’s what I get for actually liking to cook! When we eat out it is always for lunch when we go to the ‘big city’ and have a shopping day. So, I order appetizers for lunch.
But now – Back to the multiple sides for dinner – at home.
Like with these mashed potatoes I would probably serve a big green salad full of goodies, baked mushrooms stuffed with lentils and then a simple veggie like carrots or peas. Plenty of food, lots of nourishment, a big variety and good eating.
Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes
Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes makes life a little easier.
- 2 1/2 to 3 pounds red potatoes
- 24 ounces vegetable broth low sodium if you'd like to watch your intake
- 3 tablespoons dairy free butter
- 1/4 cup dairy free milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth reserved
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Peel the potatoes and cut into large chunks.
Place in a slow cooker.
- Pour the broth over the potatoes to cover.
- Cook on high for 2 hours.
- Drain the potatoes over a large bowl and save the broth.
- Put the potatoes back into the slow cooker and add the vegan butter and the 1/4 cup reserved vegetable broth.
- Mix with a hand mixer.
- Add the soy milk and salt and pepper and mix again.
- Serve or keep warm up to 2 hours.
- If you are keeping it warm - cover and turn to low.
- When ready to serve - stir and if it seems like it has thickened add some more of the reserved broth and mix well.
- You can hold mashed potatoes in the refrigerator for 3 days and they can be heated in the microwave.
- Heat and stir and heat and stir etc. until hot all the way through. They taste just like freshly mashed potatoes.
Freeze up to 4 months.
TO PREPARE AFTER FREEZING:
Put in the fridge the day before serving. After defrosting the liquid may separate from the mashed potatoes somewhat but that is no big deal. Non-dairy milks tend to do this more than dairy milks. Just remix and heat. Heat in a microwave on high, stirring about every 2 minutes until heated through.
Serve up and it will be delicious!