Broccoli Brown Rice Casserole is a favorite for rice loving children and for us big kids too. Easy to make and a classic recipe all year round.
Have you ever noticed how much children like rice? Of course, it usually has soy sauce on it but this Broccoli Brown Rice Casserole is another favorite for little ones.
It’s such a relief when kids look really happy when they get to the dinner table. Or even before that when they say “What’s for dinner?”
The cheese is a mild one. I used a vegan jack cheese that melts and melds right along with the sweet green bell peppers. Brown rice also makes the dinner seem more hearty. It has a unique flavor that kind of stands out as a star.
Brown Rice sure goes great with broccoli. Simple and flavorful. As you can see in the photo I served it along side edamame and crunchy garlic bread.
Man, that makes my stomach growl.
Not only is this a wonderful meal throughout the week but it is a classic that is served at all the holidays from Easter on through Christmas. It’s quick and all of the ingredients are easy to find so a last minute plan is definitely doable.
This actually can serve 6 as a side but we often have it as the main dish and our servings become much larger. Truly, you can have this for lunch too. It is so satisfying and really sticks to your ribs.
Just make enough for dinner and you can heat the leftovers in seconds in the microwave. Heat about 30 seconds, stir and then heat another 30 seconds and there you go. Simple and uncomplicated.
Broccoli Brown Rice Casserole
Broccoli Brown Rice Casserole is a favorite for rice loving children and for us big kids too.
- 2 cups broccoli - cut into florets
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper , chopped
- 3 cups brown rice cooked
- 8 ounces dairy free jack cheese ,in a round, cut into cubes
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Lightly oil a 9" x 9" baking dish.
- Steam the broccoli florets for 10 minutes only and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a skillet and add the onion and bell pepper.
- Cook for about 10 to 15 minutes or until the onion is translucent.
- Turn off the heat in the skillet.
- Stir in the cooked rice, broccoli, cheese, salt and pepper.
- Turn all into the prepared casserole.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
Freeze before baking only.
Please follow any of the directions defined in my article Preparing Food for the Freezer
TO PREPARE AFTER FREEZING:
Take out of freezer and put in the refrigerator at least 6 to 8 hours before baking (or the day before). Bake, covered at 350° for 20 minutes and then uncover and bake for 10 minutes.