Rich Tomato Bisque is a classic soup that is simple to make and this recipe will have you coming back for more. Adults and kids love it as an entree or a main dish.
My husband and I love soup and have it often. Even throughout the summer. Homemade Split Pea Soup and Rich Tomato Bisque are our favorites.
Not necessarily in that order. Of course, he is putting crackers in his - no matter what - but I like a big spoonful all the way down to the last drop.
It is so nice to know that all you have to do is measure ingredients into a big pot and follow a few directions to get the best soup possible.
I hope you will get to make this delicious recipe - very soon.
How Do You Make a Roux for this Tomato Bisque Recipe?
A roux is the beginning of a sauce or soup or stew and it starts with butter and flour. In our case, it's dairy free butter.
Melt the butter in a saucepan, skillet or stockpot. For this recipe, a stockpot is used. I like to use a nice big one. This aids in stirring and making a larger quantity than you thought you might.
Add the flour and it is often the same amount as the butter. Stir until all is well blended. It will seem like a thick clump of moist flour. Keep stirring for about a minute. This cooks out the raw taste of flour.
A great stockpot comes in handy for most soups and stews
Nice old fashioned type, sturdy glass measuring cups are the way to go.
Not a necessity but gorgeous soup bowls that are made by Polish Pottery!
This post contains affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
Rich Tomato Bisque
- 4 tablespoons dairy-free butter - you use this much for the roux to help make the soup thicker
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 2 small cloves garlic, finely chopped or minced
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 32 ounces vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 28 ounces whole tomatoes - one large can
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 8 ounces from a can of full fat coconut milk, usually about 17% to 22%
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- a couple of dashes tabasco sauce
- Heat the vegan butter in a large soup pot.
- Add the onion and carrot and saute for about 8-10 minutes. Until the onion looks translucent.
- Add the garlic and sauté for one more minute.
- Add the flour and stir and cook to make a roux. It will take about 3 minutes to cook the flour taste out of the mixture.
- Pour in the broth, water, tomatoes, tomato paste.
- Stir to make sure the roux is all mixed into the liquid.
- Add the bay leaf and basil.
- Cover and cook over medium heat for 30 minutes. Stir a couple of times to make sure it is not sticking.
- Remove from the heat and let cool.
- Remove the bay leaf.
- Now you need to blend the soup. You can either use and immersion blender until it is completely smooth or Use a blender. Blend in batches until the soup is smooth.
- Return the tomato soup to the pot by pouring it through a sieve.
- Reheat the soup and add the coconut milk, salt and pepper. Do not bring to a boil or cook too high after the coconut milk has been added.
- Taste to see if you need more salt or pepper. They can always add a little at the table.