Vegetable Barley Soup is a great mix-up for your hearty and satisfying soup repertoire. It’s easy to make with a wonderful variety of fresh vegetables.
I have been waiting and waiting for cooler weather to get here. It is so fun to start combining this and that for stews, soups and chilies to help us feel warm from the inside out.
Well, it is not that cool here yet but I know it probably is at your house. I see pictures of people all over facebook wearing long pants, sweaters and boots so it must be that time. Right?
So I am taking advantage of the visuals and starting the fun early. We're enjoying spoonfuls of wonderful soup right along with you.
Is Barley Soup Healthy?
Absolutely! There are whole grains and high in fiber.
Low in fats and can be free of fat is you saute your onion, garlic, and carrot in vegetable broth. Lots of with the veggies mentioned above there is also spinach, tomatoes, and bell pepper.
- Dairy Free Chunky Cauliflower Soup
- Spicy Vegan Pumpkin Soup
- Red Lentil Dahl Soup
- Homemade French Onion Soup
- Baked Potato Soup
I'd love to show you a picture of one of these soups. I was going to try to show the one that is the most popular on the blog.
They are all pretty much neck and neck so maybe I'll choose the one that has been on the blog the longest and is still being made like crazy. Oh my gosh, it's so good!
S0 let's get back whole grains and fresh vegetable soup.
What Does Barley Taste Like?
Barley and pearl barley has a texture that is chewy with an almost nutty flavor and it holds it's bite for a very satisfying soup.
Both barley's have their hull removed but pearl barley is 'polished' to remove the bran layer. High in protein too.
Vegetable Barley Soup
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup yellow onion - diced
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 cup red bell pepper - diced
- 1 cup carrots - chopped
- 32 ounces vegetable Broth
- 15 ounces diced tomatoes - can with juices
- 2 bay leaf
- 2 cups spinach - torn
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ground black pepper - to taste
- In a medium pan, bring 4 cups of water and the 1 cup of barley to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 30-40 minutes, or until the barley is soft.
- Drain and set aside.
- While the barley is cooking, heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the onion and saute 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, red bell pepper, and carrots and cook until the carrots are getting tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth, diced tomatoes and bay leaves.
- Bring to a boil and then turn down to a simmer. Simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the cooked barley and the torn spinach. Cook over medium heat or 15 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaves. Add salt and pepper. Taste to check the seasoning. Serve hot.
Can Barley Soup be Frozen?
Just let it cool and pack in rigid sided glass freezer containers.
It will keep really well for 4 months.