Pizza Dough with restaurant quality are one of those things that people are always looking for. Well, this one is it. Thick or thin.
Pizza dough crust is one of those things that people are always looking for. They want it just like the restaurants. Well, this one is it.
You can make this pizza dough any thickness that you like and it bakes just right. Whole wheat pastry flour is used for some of the pizza dough and it is a perfect balance.
You can make a few batches of this dough and freeze for whenever you need that pizza fix. Smaller portions make nice little mini pizzas too. Fix with all different toppings to please the whole family or make one special mini pizza just for yourself.
This is how my husband likes it. Thin and, sort of, crispy.
- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup warm water for the yeast
- 1 packet yeast
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoon salt
- Oil the inside of a large bowl and set aside. This is for the dough to rise.
- Pour 1/4 cup warm water (100 to 110 degrees) in a large warmed bowl (the microwave will warm the bowl).
- Stir in the yeast and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining water (1-1/4 cup), oil and the salt.
- Add the flours and stir until pretty well blended. It will not be smooth.
- Turn out onto a floured counter and knead until smooth, adding a little more flour when you need to keep it from sticking.
- A little sticky is okay.
- Form into a ball.
- Place the dough ball in the large greased bowl and turn the dough so that it gets oil on all sides. If you don't do this you will get a dry crust on the outside of the ball.
- Cover the bowl and set aside (out of a draft) until the dough has doubled in size - 40 to 60 minutes.
- Divide the dough in half for 2 15" pizzas.
- Divide again for smaller pizzas.
- Shape the dough into balls and set on a floured counter.
- Cover again with a towel and let rise another 20-30 minutes.
- You can freeze the balls at this point or roll them out and freeze flat.
- To continue making a pizza now - put the dough on your pizza pan.
- Push out with your fingers to the size of pizza you want.
- Cover with a towel again and let it rest for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add your pizza sauce and any toppings that you desire.
- Below is a photo of the pizza before it is cooked.
- I used onion, green bell pepper, red bell pepper and mushrooms. Oh, yeah. And vegan mozzarella.
- Bake in a hot oven at 425° for 18 minutes.
- IF FREEZING:
- Package in manner of your choice as defined in my article http://veganinthefreezer.com/preparing-food-for-the-freezer
- TO PREPARE AFTER FREEZING:
- Remove from the freezer and put in the refrigerator the day before serving.
- When defrosted roll out, top and bake as described above.