Mujadara Baked Rice and Lentils is straight up comfort food. Made richer with full-flavored spices and brought to your dinner table in a pretty casserole.
If you’re looking for an inexpensive and easy recipe then this is the one. Mujadara is a classic recipe and is a staple in the Middle East. People have been making it for over 500 years.
Because this dish consists of a legume and grain it is a complete protein and also very high in protein per cup. It’s just one of those perfect dishes.
Mujadara is not normally baked but it is so easy this way and it comes out perfect every time. About all you have to do is combine everything in a casserole and then it just takes care of itself in the oven.
I did pre-saute the onion before I added it to the mixture because I just like the extra sweetness that comes out of the onion that way.
You can serve it as a main dish with other smaller sides such as Pure Delicious Cauliflower. You could add a loaf of crusty bread too but definitely a salad. So good!
So now you have it. Lentils and rice made richer with full-flavored spices and brought to your dinner table in a pretty casserole.
Mujadara Baked Rice and Lentils Casserole
- In a skillet heat oil to medium high and then turn it down to medium and saute the onion until it is translucent - about 10 minutes.
- Heat 3 cups of vegetable broth to a boil.
- Meanwhile, to a casserole add rice, lentils, all the spices and sauted onion.
- Be careful and pour the broth over everything in the casserole dish.
- Stir until all is evenly dispersed. The rice and lentils will settle on the bottom.
- Cover with a fitted lid or cover tightly with foil. Leaving enough foil to go over the edges, liberally.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 60 minutes.
- Check and see if the liquid has absorbed and the rice is tender. If not add another 10 minutes.
- It will still be very moist.
- Serve and sprinkle with fresh parsley - if you like.