Mujadara Baked Rice and Lentils is straight up comfort food. Made richer with full-flavored spices and brought to your dinner table in a pretty casserole.
Mujadara Baked Rice and Lentils is straight up comfort food. Mujadara is a classic recipe that is not normally baked but it becomes so much easier that way? Very inexpensive and a staple in the Middle East.
So now you have it. Lentils and rice made richer with full-flavored spices and brought to your dinner table in a pretty casserole.
Mujadara Baked Rice and Lentils
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil to coat a 8" x 10" casserole
- 1 tablespoon Coconut Oil to saute the onion
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cups Vegetable Broth
- 1/2 cup Brown Lentils
- 1/3 cup Brown Rice
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Lightly oil the casserole and set aside.
- In a skillet heat the oil to medium high and then turn it down to medium and saute the onion until it is translucent - about 10 minutes.
- To the casserole sprinkle in the rice, lentils, all the spices and the sauteed onion.
- Heat the 3 cups of vegetable broth to a boil.
- Be careful and pour the broth over everything in the casserole dish.
- Stir until all is evenly dispersed. The rice and lentils will settle on the bottom.
- Cover with the lid or cover tightly with foil. Leaving enough foil to go over the edges, liberally.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 60 to 70 minutes.
- Check after an hour and see if the liquid has absorbed and the rice is tender.
- It will still be very moist.
- Serve and sprinkle with fresh parsley - if you like.
Please follow any of the directions defined in my article How to Prepare Food for the Freezerr.
TO PREPARE AFTER FREEZING:
If you have frozen leftover mujadara in smaller rigid containers then take out the containers and put in the fridge the day before serving. Heat in a microwave on high, stirring about every 2 minutes until heated through.