Cinnamon Apple Crisp Muffins are topped with a slightly crunchy cinnamon topping. It is like a cap of streusel but it doesn’t require any of the extra work.
I love when you can go and pick apples by the bushel. Truly! We use to live within a couple of miles of Apple Hill in California.
When apple season began I would start picking up a bushel of this and a bushel of that.
By the end of the season there were quite a few pints and quarts of apples all canned up for the year.
Countless pies, candies, cookies and muffins had been served to others and myself.
This recipe didn’t exist then but it does now and I hope you will add it to your collection. It really is that good!
I know you know Bob’s Red Mill. It is the best source out there for whole grain products.
In fact, if I can’t find a certain grain, seed or bean I just go over to the Bob’s Red Mill section and there it is.
It’s like Christmas. I want one of everything. You can tell I love to cook.
Helpful Kitchen Tools:
- A pastry cutter will be used more than you know.
- Sometimes all you need is a box grater. This is a nice stainless steel one.
- Looking for a certain measuring cup size? I love all the sizes that these measuring spoons and measuring cups come in.
You can use whole wheat flour or whole wheat pastry flour too.
Just follow the recipe for Cinnamon Apple Crisp Muffins and you will have some amazing muffins.
They are easy to make and as good as any specialty bakery goods out there.
Can you Freeze Cinnamon Apple Crisp Muffins?
Baked goods seem to be made for freezing.
After they have cooled you may freeze them in any of the methods shown in my article How to Prepare Food for the Freezer.
They defrost quickly so it really doesn’t take any planning.
Just take them out of the freezer and set in the refrigerator. You can even set them on a platter if you are serving them for breakfast or a treat in about an hour.
This post contains affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
That was a great bite! After I finished my photography – I finished one of my Cinnamon Apple Crisp Muffins.
Now you can make these beautiful muffins and people will think you’re a five star baker.
Cinnamon Apple Crisp Muffins
- 3 cups Stone Ground Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup organic shortening
- 1 tablespoon chia egg which is 1 chia flour and 3 Tablespoons water, directions below
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 granny smith apple, peeled and grated (at the last minute)
- Add muffin liners to 18 muffin cups
- To a large bowl add the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- Mix well.
- Cut in the shortening with a pastry cutter. I always use my fingers when I get close to the end - I pinch and roll with my fingers and thumb. This gets a great mixture that resembles crumbs.
- Set aside.
- Make your chia egg and set aside. - A chia egg is actually made with chia seed meal/flour not the bare seed. The way you make meal/flour is by grinding the chia seed in a processor such as one for your coffee beans or a spice grinder. I use mine to strictly grind seeds so that I do not mix flavors. Grind until it is a fine meal. I do about 4 ounces at a time and keep it in a little freezer safe canning jar - in the freezer. When I need a Tablespoon or so it is all ready to go.
- Peel and grate the apple and set aside.
- Add the almond milk and chia egg together.
- Add the liquid mixture to the dry ingredients stirring until just combined.
- Fold in the grated apple.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tins.
- Bake at 375° for 25 minutes.
- Take the muffins out of the oven and let cool for a few minutes.
- During this time mix the cinnamon and sugar and set aside.
- Melt the butter and put in a narrower deeper bowl than a cereal bowl. This way you can dunk the muffin top straight down into the butter and then lift.
- Dip each top into the butter and then roll the top in the cinnamon mixture.
- Set aside, on a rack, to cool completely.
They defrost quickly so it really doesn't take any planning.
You want to take a peek at another fruit inspired muffin? This time it is with an orange. Vegan Orange Pecan Muffins to be exact.