Chocolate Frosted Lemon Cupcakes are so inviting with a chocolaty top and the cupcakes have just a hint of lemon. Two favorite dessert flavors all in one.
It is about time for a new decadent treat to be gracing these pages. On my Recipe Index page there are little thumbnail photos lined up of all my recipes, in order, in which they were introduced on the blog. Newest to oldest.
Well I scanned down the page and it was way too long of a scan before I found any chocolate. Heavens! I need to keep closer attention. Also, there were no cupcakes! It is all fixed now and I can breathe a sigh of relief. Frosted Chocolate Lemon Cupcakes! All is right with the world.
Chocolate Frosted Lemon Cupcakes
For the Cupcakes
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, solid from the fridge if necessary
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs - I used an Egg Replacer - you may use any of your favorites
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup dairy-free milk - I used coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice - if the batter does not taste as lemony as you like then you can add up to 1 teaspoon more
For the Cupcakes:
- Mix the 'eggs' according yo your package directions. Some use more water than others. Set aside.
- Beat together the coconut oil, coconut sugar, salt and lemon juice until light and fluffy. About 3 minutes.
- Add the 'eggs' and beat in well.
- In a separate bowl mix the baking powder with the flour.
- Add the flour alternately with the coconut milk into the sugar mixture. Start and end with the flour. Mix until smooth.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line 12 muffin cups with cupcake liners.
- Spoon some of the batter into each liner until they are all pretty even.
- Bake the cupcakes at 350 degrees for 18-20 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
For the Frosting:
- While the cupcakes are baking, make the frosting.
- Cream the powdered sugar and vegan butter together.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- When you remove the cupcakes from the over - remove the cupcakes from the pan to a baking rack and let cool completely.
- Scoop the frosting into a decorating bag with any tip you like, and frost the cooled cupcakes.
- I sprinkled some raw sugar (turbinado) on the tops. That is what the little glistening decoration on top of the chocolate.
Freeze without the frosting. You may freeze them in any of the methods shown in my article Preparing Food for the Freezer They defrost quickly so it really doesn't take any planning. Just put them in the refrigerator to defrost over night or set out on a plate and it will take an hour or so to defrost. Make your frosting and frost.