A moist, light, deliciously tart cupcake made with coconut sugar, flour, and lemon juice is topped with a rich and creamy chocolate frosting made from cocoa powder, a hint of vanilla, and coconut milk. Together this unique combination is an irresistible summer dessert.
Cupcakes are one of those things that just make people happy. They're small, personal, and come in a wide variety of flavors and styles. Whether you like them simple or decked out with frosting and sprinkles, there's a cupcake out there for everyone. And the best part is, they're pretty easy to make at home.
Vegan lemon cupcakes with chocolate frosting are the perfect summer dessert. The cake is light, moist, and fluffy, while the chocolate frosting is rich and creamy without being overly sweet. The tartness of the lemon cuts through the sweetness of the chocolate, making for a perfect balance of flavors. If you're looking for a show-stopping vegan dessert, this is it.
Table of Contents
Why You'll Love This Vegan Lemon Cupcake Recipe:
Moist And Flavorful- Moist, fluffy, and delicious. The perfect combination of sweet and sour that everyone will enjoy.
Easy To Make- They may sound complicated, but it's surprisingly easy to do.
Light- These cupcakes are light, refreshing, and not overly sweet. They're ideal for spring and summer entertaining.
Chocolate Frosting- The chocolate made from scratch frosting takes these to the next level.
A Real Crowd Pleaser- Perfect for potlucks, picnics, and parties, everyone will love these moist vegan cupcakes.
Equipment Needed To Make
- 2 Small Mixing Bowl
- Medium Mixing Bowls
- Muffin Tins
- Cupcake Liners
- Baking Rack
- Piping Bag
Ingredients For Lemon Cupcakes With Chocolate Frosting
For The Cupcakes:
- Coconut Oil
- Coconut Sugar
- Egg Replacer
- Baking Powder
- All-Purpose Flour
- Dairy-Free Milk
- Lemon Juice
For The Frosting:
- Organic Powdered Sugar
- Vegan Butter
- Coconut Milk
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- Organic Vanilla Extract
How To Make Moist Vegan Lemon Cupcakes
To make these cupcakes, prepare the egg replacer as directed on the package and set it aside in a small mixing dish. Add oil, sugar, salt, and lemon juice to a medium mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Then add the egg replacer that was set aside earlier.
In a small mixing dish, whisk the baking powder and flour together. Alternate adding flour and coconut milk to the sugar mixture in the first mixing bowl. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, fill muffin pans with cupcake liners and bake for about 20 minutes.
While the cupcakes bake, make the vegan chocolate icing. Cream the powdered sugar and vegan butter using a hand mixer. Add all remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly once creamed.
Remove the cupcakes from the oven and place them on a cooling rack. The vegan cupcakes are topped off with the chocolate frosting using a piping bag and tip of your choice when they've cooled completely.
What to Serve/Pair With Vegan Lemon Cupcakes
A nice cold glass of almond or oat milk is always a delicious and refreshing option. If you want something a little bit more indulgent, serve these cupcakes with vegan ice cream or some vegan whipped cream. They are also excellent when paired with a cup of hot tea or coffee.
Popular Substitutions & Additions
You can make a few popular substitutions and additions to this vegan lemon cupcake recipe. Get creative and have fun with it!
- Milk- Almond milk, oat milk, cashew milk, or soy milk would all work well in this recipe.
- Chocolate Chips- Add vegan chocolate chips to the batter before baking for an extra chocolatey treat.
- Zest- If you want to make these cupcakes even more lemony, you could add some lemon zest to the batter.
- Lemon- Top the cupcakes with some fresh lemon slices for a beautiful and delicious garnish.
- Nuts- Add some chopped nuts to the frosting for a little bit of texture.
How To Reheat & Store Lemon Cupcakes
What Is The Best Way To Store Homemade Vegan Lemon Cupcakes?
Vegan lemon cupcakes are best stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator or at room temperature.
How Long Will Lemon Cupcakes With Chocolate Frosting Last In The Fridge?
When stored in an airtight container, your vegan cupcake will last up to 1 week in the fridge or 3 days at room temperature.
Can I Freeze Vegan Lemon Cupcakes?
Yes, you can freeze them for up to 3 months. Be sure to store them in a freezer-safe container. Allow cupcakes to thaw in the fridge overnight when ready to eat.
How To Reheat Vegan Lemon Cupcakes?
You can reheat your vegan cupcake in the microwave. Just heat them for a few seconds until they're warm. You can also reheat them in the oven, but be careful not to overcook them.
Can I use a different vegan frosting?
Yes, you could absolutely use a different vegan frosting. A vanilla vegan buttercream or even a vegan cream cheese frosting would be delicious on these cupcakes.
Do I have to use a piping bag to frost the cupcakes?
No, you don't have to use a piping bag to frost the cupcakes. You could just spread the frosting on with a knife or spatula.
What is the best vegan milk to use?
I prefer coconut milk for its creamy texture, but almond or oat milk would also work well in this recipe.
Do these vegan lemon cupcakes need to be refrigerated?
No, they do not need to be refrigerated unless you want them to. They will last up to 1 week in an airtight container in the fridge or 3 days at room temperature.
Can the Vegan Lemon Cupcakes with chocolate frosting be made ahead of time?
Yes, you can make them ahead of time. Just store them in an airtight container in the fridge or at room temperature, and they will be good for up to 1 week.
Lemon Cupcake with Chocolate Frosting
For the Cupcakes
- ½ cup coconut oil - solid from the fridge if necessary
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs - I used an Egg Replacer - you may use any of your favorites
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup dairy-free milk - I used coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice - if the batter does not taste as lemony as you like then you can add up to 1 teaspoon more
For the Frosting
- 1 cup organic powdered sugar
- ⅛ cup vegan butter
- ⅛ cup coconut milk
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon organic vanilla extract
For the Cupcakes:
- Mix the 'eggs' according yo your package directions. Some use more water than others. Set aside.
- Beat together the coconut oil, coconut sugar, salt and lemon juice until light and fluffy. About 3 minutes.
- Add the 'eggs' and beat in well.
- In a separate bowl mix the baking powder with the flour.
- Add the flour alternately with the coconut milk into the sugar mixture. Start and end with the flour. Mix until smooth.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line 12 muffin cups with cupcake liners.
- Spoon some of the batter into each liner until they are all pretty even.
- Bake the cupcakes at 350 degrees for 18-20 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
For the Frosting:
- While the cupcakes are baking, make the frosting.
- Cream the powdered sugar and vegan butter together.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- When you remove the cupcakes from the over - remove the cupcakes from the pan to a baking rack and let cool completely.
- Scoop the frosting into a decorating bag with any tip you like, and frost the cooled cupcakes.
- I sprinkled some raw sugar (turbinado) on the tops. That is what the little glistening decoration on top of the chocolate.