Baked Maple Glazed Donuts are baked into a really really good dense cake donut. Dipped into a sweet maple icing and you will be in bakery nirvana.
When we were growing up, about once a month, we got a special treat. After church, we would go to the donut shop and get a dozen donuts.
There were six of us so we each got to pick out the two that we wanted.
That box was the most colorful and inviting display I had ever seen. My choices were always a chocolate-topped cake donut and a maple topped one.
Even then I was partial to baked donuts. Baked Maple Glazed Donuts to be specific.
There are so many bonuses when baking donuts versus frying. You can find donut pans everywhere now and I also have a silicone set so there really is no excuse. There is no frying or a messy cleanup.
The donuts are catapulted into a healthier category too and last but not least, they are delicious! You really don’t need to frost these donuts but I thought it would be a nice option.
It makes the child in us extra happy.
Cake donuts are so easy to make and the variety of recipes seem endless. It is certainly worth the small investment it would take to get a donut pan.
Here is another perfect donut recipe that doesn’t have an icing but has lots of trail mix inside. They are delicious!
This post contains affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
Baked Maple Glazed Donuts
For the Donuts
- 1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar - organic
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup dairy-free milk, unsweetened
- 1 egg substitute, pre-prepared
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Maple Glaze
- 2 tablespoons non-dairy butter
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- For the Donuts
- Lightly grease donut pans for 12 donuts or use silicone donut pans.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a large bowl add the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and ground cinnamon.
- In a medium bowl add the coconut oil, non-dairy milk, prepared non-dairy egg and vanilla extract. Mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Evenly distribute the batter between the 12 donuts rings.
- Bake at 350° for 14 to 16 minutes.
- When done pop the donuts out of the pans and let cool on a wire rack. Great warm or cold.
For the Maple Glaze:
- Melt the non-dairy butter in the microwave for a few seconds. Stir in the maple syrup and powdered sugar and mix until creamy smooth. Ready for dipping. Dip the donuts straight down on the top flat side. Flip over and let set on a bakers rack.
STORING IN THE REFRIGERATOR:
Keep covered in the refrigerator for about a week.
Freeze frosted or unfrosted. Pack in either ziplock bags or a hard-sided freezer container for up to 3 months. Defrost in the refrigerator.