Stars Shortbread Cookies will add a lot of color to your table and put smiles on everyone’s faces. I never met a person who didn’t like a shortbread cookie.
Our Patriotic holiday is on the way and is so fun to celebrate. Lots of activities and fireworks with our nations red, white and blue everywhere.
Not only is this recipe fun to make it is also a lot of fun to make with children. Keep this recipe around because you can use it over and over with any cookie cutters you like for any celebration. Have a wonderful long weekend!
45 minPrep Time
45 minCook Time
1 hr, 30 Total Time
- Mix the flour, organic powdered sugar and organic cornstarch together. Set aside.
- In a large bowl beat the vegan butter until creamy.
- Mix in the dry ingredients and almond extract. Mix well.
- Separate the dough into two balls. Wrap in plastic wrap and slightly flatten.
- Place in the refrigerator for one hour.
- Take one of the balls out of the refrigerator.
- Place the ball onto a cookie sheet and roll out to about 1/3" thick.
- Cut stars close to each other on the cookie sheet but not touching.
- Remove the excess dough between and around the stars. You will reuse this dough.
- Sprinkle the stars with the colored sugar before baking.
- I placed a smaller star on top of the cut out star and sprinkled sugar inside. This gives a pretty nice edge and keeps the excess sugar from going onto the cookie sheet.
- If you do not have a smaller star cookie cutter just sprinkle on the sugar.
- Bake at 350• for 12 minutes.
- Cook on wire rack.
- Repeat the process until all of the dough is used.
TO FREEZE: You may freeze them in any of the methods shown in my article http://veganinthefreezer.com/preparing-food-for-the-freezer/ They defrost quickly so it really doesn't take any planning. Just put them on a plate for an hour or so and enjoy.