Are you thinking of going vegan but are worrying about missing out on all your favorite loaves of bread? Don't worry! Eating a vegan diet doesn't mean that delicious, fresh-baked bread isn’t in the cards anymore. In fact, it can be surprisingly easy to make some delicious and healthy vegan bread right in your own kitchen without any eggs, dairy products, or other animal ingredients. This post will give you step-by-step instructions for baking up some yummy bread that everyone will enjoy! Say goodbye to wandering around the bread aisle being overwhelmed by all the store-bought vegan bread brands that your local grocery store has, and treat yourself to delicious, homemade plant-based goodness!
Why You'll Love This Simple Vegan Bread Recipe
Delicious- This vegan bread recipe is incredibly easy to make and tastes delicious. It has a slightly crunchy crust and an airy, light interior perfect for sandwich bread or snacking.
Made From Scratch- Homemade vegan bread recipe is made from scratch using just flour, water, salt, and oil.
Easy-To-Follow Instructions- This is a simple, easy recipe that everyone can make. The best part? You don't need any special equipment- just some basic kitchen items.
Versatile- Vegan bread recipes are versatile in every way. Use whole wheat flour, gluten-free flour, almond flour, or all-purpose flour to suit your needs, then top each slice with vegan butter, fruit jam, or other favorite toppings.
Great For Gifting- Homemade bread is a great gift for someone special. Whether it's a family member, friend, or neighbor, homemade bread is sure to be appreciated!
What Is Vegan Bread?
Vegan bread is a type of homemade bread made without using any animal products, such as milk, eggs, butter, or honey. Vegan bread is an excellent option for those following a vegan lifestyle, as it is 100% plant-based. You can enjoy it plain, in its most basic form, sliced into sandwich bread, and topped with vegan butter, jam, or other toppings of your choice. Whether you're a seasoned vegan baker or just starting out, this simple recipe for vegan bread will become one of your favorites!
Equipment Needed To Make Vegan Bread From Scratch
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Stirring Spoon
- Clean Kitchen Cloth
- Baking Dish
- Serrated Knife
- Flour- The main ingredient in bread, all-purpose flour provides structure, texture, and flavor.
- Dry Yeast- Active dry yeast is a type of microscopic fungus that helps the dough rise.
- Sea Salt- Helps to enhance the flavor and prevent the bread from becoming too dense.
- Warm Water- Assists in activating the yeast, enabling it to work its magic on the dough.
- Olive Oil- Gives the bread a rich, nutty flavor and keeps it from becoming too dry.
How To Make Vegan Bread
Making bread from scratch is surprisingly easy! In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients. Then, add water and olive oil. Stir until dough forms. Once you have a wet dough, knead it with your hands until smooth. Place the dough back in the mixing bowl and cover it with a clean kitchen cloth. Set aside 2-3 hours to allow it to rise; it should double in size within that time frame.
After the dough has risen, take the edges and fold them towards the center to create a ball. No more kneading is necessary.
Add the dough to the baking dish and let it rise for another 30 minutes. Then, use a serrated knife to make cuts on top of the dough.
Bake the bread in a preheated 450F oven for approximately 30 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
After the bread is cooked, allow it to cool completely. Once cooled, slice and serve as desired.
What to Serve Vegan Bread
Homemade vegan bread is excellent for sandwiches, to make a veggie burger, toast, or just by itself. It also pairs well with soups and salads. Top it with homemade jam, marmalade, or nut butter for extra flavor- the possibilities are endless!
You can also use this homemade vegan bread recipe to make French toast or croutons.
Popular Substitutions & Additions
If you're looking to switch up the flavor of homemade vegan bread, there are lots of easy options. Here are some popular substitutions and additions:
- Oats– Swap ¼ cup of flour for ¼ cup of whole-grain oats to make whole-grain bread.
- Seeds– Add in your favorite seeds, such as sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, etc., for a hearty texture.
- Flour- Use different flours to customize each loaf of bread. Use whole wheat flour to make whole wheat bread, almond flour to make a nuttier-tasting bread, or gluten-free flour to make gluten-free loaves.
- Herbs– Add fresh herbs such as rosemary or thyme.
- Nuts– If you don't have any nut allergies, you can add in some chopped nuts, such as almonds or walnuts.
- Spices– Give your homemade bread an extra boost with spices like cinnamon, cardamom, and nutmeg.
- Sweetener– Add some vegan-friendly sweetener such as maple syrup or coconut sugar.
- Spreads– Serve homemade vegan bread with spreads like homemade nut butter and jam.
With so many possible variations, this vegan loaf of bread will become a staple in many vegan recipes!
How To Store Homemade Bread
Once cooled completely, you can store homemade vegan bread at room temperature in a sealed bag or container for up to 3 days. To keep homemade vegan bread longer, freeze it in an airtight container or resealable freezer-safe bag.
To reheat homemade vegan bread, wrap the slice in a damp paper towel and microwave for 30-45 seconds. Wrapping the bread will help keep the crusty texture of the homemade vegan bread intact.
Delicious Vegan Bread Recipe FAQs
Can this vegan bread recipe be made in a bread machine?
Yes, you can make homemade vegan bread in a bread machine. Just follow the bread recipe to make your dough, then follow the instructions on your particular machine.
Why do you have to let the dough ride for so long?
Letting the homemade vegan bread dough rise for a few hours helps it to become light and airy. This process is necessary to make homemade vegan bread that's fluffy and flavorful.
Can vegan bread be made without yeast?
Yes, you can make homemade vegan bread without yeast. Just replace the yeast with baking powder and baking soda.
Is homemade vegan bread better than store-bought?
Yes, making your own bread from scratch is much better than store-bought! It's more flavorful and fresher, plus you can customize each bread loaf to fit any occasion.
Can homemade vegan bread be frozen?
Yes, homemade vegan bread can be stored in an airtight container or resealable freezer-safe bag for up to three months. To reheat homemade vegan bread, wrap the slice in a damp paper towel and microwave for 30-45 seconds.
The Easiest Vegan Bread Recipe
- 3 ¼ cup flour
- 2 tsp dry yeast
- 1 ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 ½ cups warm water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Combine flour, yeast, and sea salt in a bowl.
- Add water and olive oil.
- Stir with a spoon until the dough comes together.
- Knead the dough until smooth and cover it with a clean cloth. Let the dough rise for2-3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 450F. Grease a baking dish or dust it with some flour.
- Once the dough is doubled in size. Take the edges and fold them toward the center until you shape the ball of the dough. Do not knead at this point.
- Place the dough into a baking dish and let the dough rise for 30 minutes. Make a few cuts on the dough’s surface, with a serrated knife.
- Bake the bread for 30 minutes.
- Cool the bread completely before slicing and serving.
Leave a Reply