Air Fryer Sweet Potato Chips are fried the healthy way. Less than 30 minutes for a handful of spicy chips. Vegan, Paleo, Whole30 and a delicious side dish, snack or appetizer.
This recipe is actually for fried sweet potatoes but they are done in the air fryer so that the fat content is much lower. You still need to use a touch of oil but not much.
They'll cook without the oil but they don't get crispy as they do with oil and the seasonings stick much much better too.
Sweet potatoes are a gem of a vegetable. They have 114 calories per cup.
I calculated that a serving was ½ of a potato so even with all the seasonings the total come out to just a little over 100 calories per serving.
Sweet potatoes aren't relegated to the holiday season anymore. You can buy them year round just like regular potatoes and they are just as versatile.
They also aren't potatoes even though they grow underground in exactly the same way. The tuberous roots have a long shelf life too.
The bright orange sweet potato is sweeter than the white ones and the contrast between sweet and spicy is fantastic. So sweet and spicy it is.
Table of Contents
How to Prepare Sweet Potato Chips
Slice to the thickness that you like. I like to use a mandoline to get them nice and thin. Be careful!
I happen to have an OXO one because of a job that I did for them but there are many nice mandolines out there that don't cost a mint.
You can also slice them thicker but they will not be quite as crispy. They'll be more like the apple chips you buy in the store. Also delicious.
After the sweet potatoes are tossed in the oil sprinkle with the seasoning that has already been mixed. Toss again to evenly coat each slice.
Let the sweet potato slices touch each other in the bottom of the air fryer. They can even overlap a tad because there is more shrinking than you would think.
Quite a bit of water comes out of the sweet potatoes if they sit in the bowl a long time. If this happens to you don't retoss the sweet potatoes with the seasoning or it will wash off.
Sweet potato chips are easy to handle in the air fryer but they do need to be watched near the end of their 'frying' time.
If they look golden brown then they are done. I let a few go a minute longer and they were very brown and I'm sure they would burn very easily also.
Take them out of the air fryer and let them cool on a cooling rack. They will crisp up as they set.
Other Ways to Cook Sweet Potatoes?
- Eaten Raw
Can Sweet Potato Chips Be Oven-Baked?
- Yes, no problem at all.
- Slice the potatoes to the thickness you like.
- Toss in a bit of oil so that all of the sweet potatoes are coated and sprinkle on the seasoning mix.
- Lay on parchment paper on a baking sheet. They shrink quite a bit so you can lay them pretty close to each other.
- Bake at 355°F for about 15-20 minutes. Watch starting at about 12 minutes and don't let them burn.
- Place on a cooling rack to cook about 5 minutes.
How to Store Sweet Potato Chips?
- After the chips have cooled. They get crispier as they cool.
- Pack them in an airtight container.
- Sweet Potato Chips will keep 4 to 5 days.
Other Sweet Potato Recipes to Love!
- Sweet Potato Casserole that is different from the typical mashed casserole.
- You can have Stuffed Sweet Potatoes Year-Round and they are delicious.
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Chips
- 1 ½ cups sweet potatoes - 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons organic brown sugar light or dark can be used
- 2 teaspoons chili powder - Emeril's Southwest Essence is excellent too.
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Thinly slice sweet potatoes.
- Toss in a bowl with the oil so that each sweet potato slice is lightly coated. You can use your hands if you like.
- Mix the brown sugar, chili powder, cumin, and salt in a small bowl.
- If any water has come out of the sweet potatoes while they were sitting then you can drain that off.
- Sprinkle the seasoning mix over the sweet potatoes and toss so that each slice has seasoning on it. They are lightly coated as in the photo above.
- Lay sweet potatoes in a single layer in the air fryer touching or overlapping a tiny bit. If you have a stirring arm in your air fryer that has to be removed.
- Air Fry at 180°C (356°F) for 6 to 9 minutes at depending on how thin your slices are. Mine was 9 minutes. Start to watch and don't burn. I actually have a T-Fal actifry and it is always set at 180°C and I can't change it. So 180°C it is (356°F 🙂
- Shake the basket halfway through or lightly stir to get them off the bottom of the air fryer bottom.
- When done remove chips to a cooling rack and let them cool. They will get crispier as they cool.
- Done and eat or store in an airtight container.