Perfect Barbecue Baked Beans have a tangy sweetness that develops in the oven while baking. An easy recipe that fills the house with a comforting aroma.
Perfect Barbecue Baked Beans have a tangy sweetness that develops in the oven while baking. This is one of those easy recipes that leaves you feeling accomplished after the oven door is closed. Not only that – there is a bonus. The house will be filled with a comforting aroma.
I’m never quite sure if there is actually a season for baked beans. It is one of those dishes that travels well so it can go to beach barbecues and picnics but then it also can warm up the house on those cold days and become a perfect comfort food. Okay – Decision made! It is a year round recipe.
So get out your big pot and take a few momemts to make a wonderful homemade meal. If you are lucky enough to have leftovers the beans are just as good the second day as the first.
Perfect Barbecue Baked Beans
- 1 pound dried Great Northern Beans
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspooon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- The Night before baking:
- Look through your dried beans, rinse and drain.
- Place in a large pot and cover with fresh water to cover by about 3" to 4". Let set overnight.
- The day of cooking:
- Drain the beans and set aside.
- In the large pot heat the oil to medium. Saute the onion until it is translucent. About 10-15 minutes.
- Turn to low and add the ketchup, dark brown sugar, maple syrup, mustard, dry mustard, garlic powder, chili powder and cayenne, salt and black pepper.
- Stir and then add the water, vegetable broth and drained beans.
- Bring to a boil and then turn down to a low and simmer, covered, for one hour. Stirring, occasionally, so that it does not stick.
- Pour everything into a large covered casserole - up to 4 qts. in size. Be careful.
- Cover and bake at 325 degrees for 3 hours. Remove lid and bake another hour and until thickened.
- Serve hot.
- This keeps beautifully in the fridge for four days. It also freezer really well.
Recipe NotesIF FREEZING:br]
Let the mixture cool to room temperture and freeze in any of the ways I have described in my article [How to Prepare Food for the Freezer.
TO PREPARE AFTER FREEZING:
Take out of the freezer and put in the refrigerator a few hours (about 6 hours) before heating. Heat in a large saucepan or in the microwave.