White Bean Chili from the Slow Cooker has a wonderful group of spices that blend perfectly with the beans and green chilies. Simple from the Crock~Pot!
Using a crockpot for cooking beans is a very convenient and efficient way to make dinner. After everything is placed in the crock~pot you just set the temperature, check the time and let it cook – all by itself. There won’t be any worries that your delicious food will burn or that it will boil over. Your chili is innocently cooking away and waiting for you to ladle it up.At my house when it’s warm outside, especially in the summer, I set the slow cooker on a table out on the covered patio or deck that is near an outlet. It keeps the house from overheating and it makes me feel like I am cooking al fresco. It just feels like a fun way to cook. Then on those cold days the slow cooker is more than welcome to add heat to the house. Either way I am in my ‘easy dinner mode’. There is a bit of prep work at the beginning but it’s basic and quick.
This White Bean Chili Recipe has a group of spices that work together perfectly with the beans and green chilies. Gosh, it’s making my mouth water just thinking about it. This chili cooks a very long time so it would be a good one to let cook over night. You won’t have to cut your sleep time short to tend to it. Or you can get it going early in the morning to have it ready for supper time. Whichever way you go you’ll be glad you took the white chili leap. And … leftovers are just as delicious the second time around.
Comfort food is in da house!
White Bean Chili
- 1 pound dried Great Northern beans
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves to 4 garlic, depending on how big they are, finely chopped
- 2 cans 4 ounces each, mild green chiles
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1-1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- dash black pepper
- The night before:
- Pick over the beans and rinse.
- Place the beans in a large pot and cover with water by about 2 to 3 inches.
- Let soak overnight - the beans will swell.
- In the morning:
- Drain the beans and place in a large slow cooker.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet.
- Saute the onions until translucent - about 10 to 15 minutes.
Add the garlic, chiles, ground cumin, dried oregano, ground cloves and cayenne pepper.
- Saute 2 minutes.
- Add 2 cups of the vegetable broth and bring to a boil.
- Take off of the heat and pour into the slow cooker over the beans.
Add the rest of the vegetable broth, nutritional yeast, salt and pepper.
- Turn on high 10 to 12 hours. Check at 10 hours until as soft as you like. Great Northern Beans take forever.
- All done and ready to serve.
Will keep in the fridge for 3 days or you can freeze for up to 4 months. You could also make this White Bean Recipe with a couple of carrots added. Just peal and slice the carrot into about 1 to 1-1/2 inch thick rounds.
Let the mixture cool to room temperature and freeze in any of the ways I have described in my article Food Preparation for the Freezer.
TO PREPARE AFTER FREEZING:
Take out of the freezer and put in the refrigerator a few hours (about 6 hours) before heating. Heat in a large saucepan or in the microwave.