Best Vegan Chili Recipe with Mushrooms is super special because it has everybody's favorite vegetables & spices along with chili beans. Gluten-free dining!
A big pot of chili is a great way to have a hearty meal and make it casual all at the same time.
Bowls of chili can also add to a themed dinner such as a Southwestern party or a Tex Mex fiesta. One way or the other it is warming and satisfying.
Have you ever met anyone who doesn't like chili? Me either! It's true that you might get it too spicy for some people and children often turn their noses up at onion but it also isn't noticeable in most chilies.
In fact, if it's this Best Vegan Chili Recipe with Mushroom then you also have all kinds of delicious veggies inside. Just look at that big beautiful bite in the photo below.
I kind of pushed all of the veggies to the center so you could see them better but when it's all mixed together the chili is nice and thick.
You can make it as hot as you like too but I usually leave the extra dashes of hot sauce to the individuals. Place a couple of kinds on the table - hot and not so hot.
I'm such a believer in chili there are actually six different chili recipes on this blog. That is how easy it is to make different ones and I'm sure there is always room for one more.
This chili recipe with mushrooms is a little different because mushrooms aren't usually associated with chili.
Well, I've been making this vegan chili recipe for over five years and I've used three different mushrooms in it. They are all perfect. There's been white, cremini, and shitake. Delicious!
Let me show you another one. This one is also completely different and it's White Bean Chili. Isn't it pretty? Good too!
Use a big skillet for this chili recipe with mushrooms and more. It does cook down a bit and thickens but it's a lot of ingredients.
Good ingredients. Don't cut back on the seasoning because you'll want the broth flavored as it gets cooked.
- Carrot provides lots of beta-carotene. They're also a good source of several vitamins and minerals, especially vitamin A (from beta-carotene), biotin, vitamin K (phylloquinone), potassium and vitamin B6.
- Kidney Beans are an excellent source of molybdenum. They are a very good source of folate, dietary fiber and copper. Then there's manganese, phosphorus, protein, vitamin B1, iron, and potassium.
- Mushrooms and the list seems to go on forever. There's Dietary Fiber, Protein, Vitamin C, Folate, Iron, Zinc and Manganese, and a very good source of Vitamin D, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Phosphorus, Potassium, Copper, and Selenium.
You might be wondering what is sprinkled on top of the chili. I believe I used a little raw hemp seed (hemp hearts) this time around. It is one of my favorite things to sprinkle.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This post contains affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
High in protein and low in calories, you won't want to miss making the Best Vegan Chili Recipe with Mushrooms. They are big bowl servings so you might even have some enough for 8 people.
Don't worry because if you have leftovers it freezes really well. Just defrost overnight in the fridge and heat through.
Best Vegan Chili Recipe with Mushrooms
- 1 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 12 ounces mushrooms - baby cremini or white button , it can be anywhere from 8 to 12 ounces
- 1 onion - yellow onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper - diced
- 30 ounces 2 cans 15 ounces each, diced tomatoes
- 2 carrots - diced
- 5 ounces tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 30 ounces red kidney beans - 2 cans 15 ounces each, dark
- Prepare all your vegetables.
- In a large skillet heat the oil and then add the mushrooms, onion, and bell pepper. Saute about 10 to 15 minutes or until the onions become transparent and the mushrooms have cooked down a bit.
- Add the tomatoes, carrots, tomato paste, vinegar and 1 cup of water.
- Add in all the spices and herbs. Bring to a boil, cover and turn down to simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the kidney beans and cook on a low simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Serve with a crusty bread or Green Chili Cornbread.
- IF FREEZING:
- Let cool to room temperature. Package in rigid sided freezer containers.
- TO PREPARE AFTER FREEZING:
- Remove from the freezer and put in the refrigerator overnight because it is a pretty solid mass and will take longer to defrost.
- THE NIGHT OF SERVING:
- Put all in a large saucepan or skillet, depending on how much you're reheating, and heat through.
I actually adore how beautifully healthy this vegan chili recipe is!