Vegan Black Bean Burgers Recipe is healthy & one of the most popular burgers out there. An added bonus is these have little bits of carrots and corn.
The weather is perfect. Mid 70's and we can hear the kids in the pool next door. There are more bikes on the streets than usual and I am aching to have some outdoor fun too.
Think I'll make a casual meal where we can kick around and eat al fresco. The bean burgers won't be casual though.
They'll be loaded with spices and veggies and will be cooked just right.
Black Bean Burgers are the way to go. These burgers hold together great too.
What are Some Tricks for Making Black Bean Burgers?
- A trick with any bean burger is that they should be packed firmly when you are making the patty and shape with pressure.
- While they're cooking don't press on them with the back of the spatula because that actually separates the ingredients.
- So, form the pattys the size that you want to start with. I always eyeball the size of my buns and shape accordingly.
You can't beat a warm burger with all your favorite toppings for lunch or dinner. It just grabs you sometimes and you gotta have one.
Use your favorite buns and lettuce and start piling. Sliced red tomato would be a nice layer on these burgers too.
But you know what? I like my tomatoes on the side.
Oh, another sandwich that is really good is the Spicy Green Lentil Burgers recipe. It's got some really good flavors too.
Well, maybe next weekend because I really want these loaded black bean burgers today!
Want to try this Black Bean Burgers Recipe?
PIN IT to your Main Dish or Side Dish board to save for later!
Find me on Pinterest for more great recipes!
Vegan Black Bean Burgers Recipe
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil for sauteing
- 1 cup onion, diced
- ½ cup carrot finely diced
- 1 ear of corn shucked and cut from the cob or canned corn, drained, about 8 ounces
- 2 cloves garlic finely diced
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups bread crumbs fresh
- 29 ounces black beans 2 cans about 14.5 oz, each, drained. You should even rinse and pat them dry. You want to make sure they aren't wet when mashing and adding to the rest of ingredients.
- 2 egg substitutes I used chia meal/flour which is 2 tablespoons chia meal and 6 tablespoons water
- ¼ cup sunflower seed kernels
- Make your bread crumbs using a food processor and set aside. If you have any leftover breadcrumbs it can be frozen for 6 months.
- Prepare the egg substitutes and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet and add the onion and carrot and saute about 10 minutes.
- Add corn and cook another 3 minutes.
- Add spices and garlic to the onion and cook another minute.
- In a large bowl add the black beans and mash with a potato masher or the back of a fork. You could pulse in a food processor instead but not too fine.
- Stir in the prepared egg substitutes.
- Mix in the onion mixture, bread crumbs and sunflower seed kernels.
- Make into 6 patties.
- At this point you can freeze the patties - before frying.
- Fry the patties in medium hot oil until browned on each side.
- Serve with your favorite bun and toppings.
Can You Freeze Vegan Black Bean Burgers?
Yes! You can lay parchment paper between each patty and freeze that way either in freezer bags or hard sided glass freezer containers.
TO PREPARE AFTER FREEZING:
Take out of the freezer and put in the refrigerator a few hours before frying - about 3-4 hours.
They don't have to be completely defrosted, but almost.
In a large skillet. Heat one tablespoon of oil and fry the patties on each side until browned.
Made these for dinner tonight. Halved the recipe, used a real egg and subbed flax for the sunflower seeds. Melted a slice of cheese. (We are not vegans). They were delicious. Mixed up some mayo with chipotle in adobo. Perfect. This will go into my regular rotation. Yum.
Thank you for posting this recipe. I am going to make these for a BBQ - I trust that would work? Am I able to omit the breadcrumbs from this recipe please so that my Gluten Free friends can be happy? Thanks!
Hi Clairuss. The breadcrumbs are necessary to help hold the burgers together. They may work with the same amount of cooked potato that has been mashed. You could also sub gluten free bread for the bread crumbs. They will not cook on a grill without falling apart so you'd need to put down foil to fry them on or in an iron skillet on the grill. Thank you too!
My family started on the vegan path in December and we are loving it! Even my eight year old boy is embracing this change:). I made these burgers last night and the whole family loved them. I had trouble with them binding though, and wondered if it was the egg sub I used? I used 2 tbsp flax seed meal with 6 tbsp water since that is what I had in the pantry. Do you have any suggestions? I look forward to trying more of your recipes! Thanks!
I would try one less tablespoon water Mandi. Also, there are some tricks - when you make the patty, press all of the ingredients together firmly and don't push on the back of them when they are cooking. That will separate the ingredients.