Black Bean Burgers Recipe are healthy & one of the most popular burgers out there. An added bonus is these have little bits of carrots and corn.
The weather is perfect. Mid 70’s and we can hear the kids in the pool next door. There are more bikes on the streets than usual and I am aching to have some outdoor fun too.
Think I’ll make a casual meal where we can kick around and eat al fresco. The bean burgers won’t be casual though. They’ll be loaded with spices and veggies and will be cooked just right. Black Bean Burgers Recipe is the way to go.
These burgers hold together great too. A trick with any bean burger is that they should be packed firmly when you are making the patty and shape with pressure. While they’re cooking don’t press on them with the back of the spatula because that actually separates the ingredients.
So form the pattys the size that you want to start with. I always eyeball the size of my buns and shape accordingly.
You can’t beat a warm burger with all your favorite toppings for a lunch or dinner. It just grabs you sometimes and you gotta have one. Use your favorite buns and lettuce and start piling. Sliced red tomato is always a perfect layer too. You know what? I like my tomatoes on the side.
I get a little sandwich crazy when the weather gets nice. I think it’s because outdoors is calling my name and they transport so easy. Even if it is only to the outdoor table and chairs.
Oh, another sandwich that is really good is the Spicy Green Lentil Burgers recipe. It’s got some really good flavors too. Well, maybe next weekend because I really want these loaded black bean burgers today!
Black Bean Burgers Recipe
Black Bean Burgers Recipe are healthy & one of the most popular burgers out there.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil for sauteing
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 cup carrot finely diced
- 1 ear of corn shucked and cut from the cob or canned corn, drained, about 8 ounces
- 2 cloves garlic finely diced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups bread crumbs fresh
- 29 ounces black beans 2 cans about 14.5 oz, each, drained. You should even rinse and pat them dry. You want to make sure they aren't wet when mashing and adding to the rest of ingredients.
- 2 egg substitutes I used chia meal/flour which is 2 tablespoons chia meal and 6 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup sunflower seed kernels
Make your bread crumbs using a food processor and set aside. If you have any leftover breadcrumbs it can be frozen for 6 months.
Prepare the egg substitutes and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet and add the onion and carrot and saute about 10 minutes.
Add corn and cook another 3 minutes.
- Add spices and garlic to the onion and cook another minute.
In a large bowl add the black beans and mash with a potato masher or the back of a fork. You could pulse in a food processor instead but not too fine.
Stir in the prepared egg substitutes.
Mix in the onion mixture, bread crumbs and sunflower seed kernels.
Make into 6 patties.
- At this point you can freeze the patties - before frying.
Fry the patties in medium hot oil until browned on each side.
- Serve with your favorite bun and toppings.
TO PREPARE AFTER FREEZING:
Take out of the freezer and put in the refrigerator a few hours before frying - about 3-4 hours. They don't have to be completely defrosted, but almost. In a large skillet. Heat one tablespoon of oil and fry the patties on each side until browned.