Spicy Green Lentil Burgers have lots of texture and wonderful flavor that's been enhanced with spices. A great vegan veggie burger recipe.
Spicy Green Lentil Burgers are my favorite veggie burgers. You would think that all the combinations possible have already been used. Nope.
This one has lots of texture, wonderful flavor enhanced with the spices and the best veggie combination you could ask for.
An easy mix and the 'burgers' fry up so nice and get a crispy outside layer. That is important to me.
Try these soon so that you are not missing out and your kids will love them too.
- Dried green lentils - are the most flavorful lentils
- Onion - adds a sweetened undertone with a lot of flavors too.
- Carrot - is a great texture and taste.
- Rolled oats - adds bulk and nutrients.
- Pepitas - gives a little crunch to your bite.
- Flaxseed meal - helps hold the patty together as an egg would.
- Bread crumbs - works well with the 'flax egg' to help keep the burger together.
- Tamari - has such a distinct flavor and adds a lot to the sandwich.
- Ground ginger - actually adds a little heat.
- Smoked paprika - gives even a bigger boost of flavor.
- Salt and pepper for seasoning.
- Coconut oil - for frying the 'burgers'
💭 Freezing lentil patties
- TO FREEZE:
- Freeze patties on a baking sheet.
- Put 6 on each cookie sheet - spaced out evenly. Place cookie sheets into the freezer for 30 minutes. Take the cookie sheets out of the freezer. Use a spatula to slide off each patty to store in a rigid sided container or a freezer bag.
- Place a small piece of waxed paper between each patty for easy removal. Pack in a rigid sided container or freezer bag.
- TO PREPARE AFTER FREEZING:
- Take out as many patties as you want and fry in a little bit of hot oil for 8 to 10 minutes on each side.
- Fix up your hamburger buns with all of the condiments that you like, place on a patty and enjoy.
🍔 More great burgers
- Vegan Mushroom Pecan Burgers have pecans inside for extra flavor.
- The slightly sweet Anasazi bean is the star in this Crispy Anasazi Bean Burger.
- Kidney and Black Bean Burgers are special with their two bean mixture.
- Classic Vegan Black Bean Burgers are made extra good with a little corn and carrot added.
There are also panini burgers and sliders on the blog so you know I'm a serious lover.
If you take a photo of your stacked so nice green lentil burger I would love to see it. Follow me over on Instagram and tag me on your photo @vegan_in_the_freezer.
Spicy Green Lentil Burgers
- 1 cup green lentils dried
- ½ onion chopped
- 1 carrot finely chopped in a processor
- ¾ cups rolled oats
- ½ cup pepitas you could use sunflower kernels to
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed Meal and 3 tablespoons water, mimics and egg
- ¾ cup bread crumbs
- 4 tablespoons tamari, low sodium
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil for frying the 'burgers'
Cook the lentils:
- Put 2 cups water and 1 cup dried lentils in a large saucepan.
- Bring to a boil.
- Turn down the heat and cook for 20 minutes.
- Drain the liquid off of the lentils.
- Set the lentils aside.
Now for the rest:
- Mix the flaxseed meal with the water and set aside so that it can gel a bit.
- In a large bowl add the cooked lentils, the flax seed meal mixture and the remainder of the ingredients. Mix well.
- Form the patties so that they will fit the shape of the buns that you have.
- If the patties seem too moist and won't hold their shape well enough add more breadcrumbs. You can use ¼ cup of panko also.
- Heat the coconut oil in a frying pan and cook the lentil patties on each side.
- Spread your buns with all of your favorite condiments and add lettuce and onion of your choice too.