Spicy Green Lentil Burgers have lots of texture, wonderful flavor enhanced with the spices and one of the best veggie combinations you could ask for.
Spicy Green Lentil Burgers are my favorite veggie burgers. You would think that all the combinations possible have already been used. Nope. This one has lots of texture, wonderful flavor enhanced with the spices and the best veggie combination you could ask for.
The mix is easy and the ‘burgers’ fry up so nice and get a crispy outside layer. That is important to me. Try these soon so that you are not missing out and your kids will love them too.
Spicy Green Lentil Burgers
Spicy Green Lentil Burgers is one of the best veggie combinations you could ask for
- 1 cup green lentils dried
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1 carrot finely chopped in a processor
- 3/4 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup pepitas you could use sunflower kernels to
- 1 tablespoon flax seed Meal and 3 tablespoons water, mimics and egg
- 3/4 cup bread crumbs
- 4 tablespoons tamari
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1-1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil for frying the 'burgers'
Cook the lentils:
- Put 2 cups water and 1 cup dried lentils in a large saucepan.
- Bring to a boil.
- Turn down the heat and cook for 20 minutes.
- Drain the liquid off of the lentils.
- Set the lentils aside.
Now for the rest:
- Mix the flax seed meal with the water and set aside so that it can gel a bit.
- In a large bowl add the cooked lentils, the flax seed meal mixture and the remainder of the ingredients. Mix well.
- Form the patties so that they will fit the shape of the buns that you have.
- If the patties seem to moist and won't hold their shape well enough add more breadcrumbs. You can use 1/4 cup of panko also.
- Heat the coconut oil in a frying pan and cook the lentil patties on each side.
- Spread your buns with all of your favorite condiments and add lettuce and onion of you choice too.
To freeze place the patties on a baking sheet before they are fried.
Put 6 on each cookie sheet - spaced out evenly.
Slide the cookie sheets into the freezer for about 30 minutes or until they are frozen.
Take the cookie sheets out of the freezer.
Use a spatula to slide off each patty to store in a rigid sided container or a freezer bag.
Place a small piece of waxed paper between each patty for easy removal.
Pack in rigid sided container or freezer bag.
TO PREPARE AFTER FREEZING:
Take out as many patties as you want and fry in a little bit of hot oil for 8 to 10 minutes on each side.
Fix up you hamburger buns with all of the condiments that you like, place on a patty and enjoy.