Vegetable Stew from the Crockpot
Vegetable Stew from the Crockpot is proof that simple ingredients can make for one incredible meal.
Servings 4 Servings
- 8 ounces baby cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup yellow onion, diced - one small onion
- 1 cup carrots, diced - one carrot
- 2 cups potato - one to two potatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- ½ cup dry red wine such as a good zinfandel or merlot
- 15 ounces canned diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- ½ teaspoon kitchen bouquet
- ½ teaspoon liquid smoke
- 2 tablespoons flour
Clean and pare all of the vegetables first. Cut up the potatoes last so they don't have time to turn brownish.
Add all of the vegetables to a large crockpot. One that's at least 6 qts.
Measure and add the vegetable broth, wine, diced tomatoes and tomato paste, kitchen bouquet and liquid smoke. Do NOT add the flour yet.
Now add in all of the seasonings and spices. It won't look like you have enough juices at this point but believe me a lot of liquid cooks out of the mushrooms and you will have plenty after it cooks a while.
Stir well and cover. Cook on high 4 to 5 hours or low 8 to 10 hours.
Now about the flour - sometime after the juices are hot on up to about a half-hour to an hour before serving -scoop out some of the juices into a cup. Add the flour to the hot juices in the cup. Stir well until the flour is blended. Pour it all back into the stew and stir well. Cover and let finish cooking. This thickens the juices.
This stew will keep in the fridge for about 4 days.
You can also easily double the reicpe with a larger crockpot.
Serving: 1Serving | Calories: 191kcal | Carbohydrates: 35g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 857mg | Potassium: 1360mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 5618IU | Vitamin C: 30mg | Calcium: 105mg | Iron: 6mg