Zucchini Chips made in the air fryer are thin, easy, and crispy. The airfryer handles them in a healthy way too. A great way to introduce veggies as a snack.
Now you've opened your refrigerator door and there's still so much zucchini!
Now you get to make Zucchini Chips from the air fryer. Luckily too that zukes are easy to find year-round so you can make your favorite recipes with healthy ingredients any time you want.
We all love Potato Chips but Zucchini Chips are a great way to get your family to eat their green veggies. These kid-friendly chips are made with healthy ingredients.
💭 What is aquafaba
More than likely you have already used aquafaba numerous times but if not it is a game-changer.
Aquafaba is the liquid from a can of chickpeas. It is actually the liquid from any can of beans but chickpeas are mild in flavor and the most versatile.
It becomes a perfect egg substitute for when you want to dunk something so that a coating will stick to it.
In this case, it's panko and parmesan to the zucchini slices. You'll see how great it works.
🔪 How to make zucchini chips
- Start by cutting off the ends of the zucchini. Then start to slice thinly. You don't even have to peel them. I like to use a mandoline but it isn't necessary.
- If the zucchini is going to sit awhile place on a paper towel while you are setting up the bowls. This will help to blot up extra liquid from the slices.
- Set out three small bowls. One with the flour, paprika, and salt & pepper all mixed together.
- Place the aquafaba in the middle bowl. Aquafaba is the liquid from a can of beans - more often than not a can of chickpeas. They have the most neutral flavor.
- Panko and your favorite vegan parmesan cheese is in the third bowl.
- Now start your production. Dip the zucchini in the flour mix, then the aquafaba, and then the panko. Place in the air fryer. Don't overcrowd.
- Cook at 400° for 6 to 8 minutes but flip at 4 minutes. Remove to another paper towel while you are finishing off the zucchini chips.
- Ready for dipping.
💭 Tips to avoid soggy zucchini
- Zucchini is made up of a lot of water and there are a couple of tricks to help keep them from becoming soggy.
- After slicing lay the slices out on paper towels. Not stacked on top of each other but spread out. The paper towel will wick off the liquid.
- After dipping and coating the zucchini rounds lay them in a single layer in the air fryer. This will truly allow them to air fry without too much moisture.
- The air needs to circulate in an air fryer. You'll get nice crisp chips this way without being too hard.
- Don't overbake either and remove to a paper towel.
- You'll have to do more than one batch to finish off the appetizers.
🧂 What spices can be added
This recipe includes paprika which is a great all-around seasoning for the chips. But if you'd like to become more adventurous here are some more spices you could add.
- Add a pinch of chili powder for heat. You could even add a splash of Sriracha to the aquafaba.
- Add a little garlic salt because it is a favorite to a lot of people.
- Use this nut-free vegan parmesan cheese to the panko. You won't be sorry.
👩🏻🍳 What dipping sauces would be good
- Follow Your Heart Vegan Ranch Dressing
- Vegan Chipotle Vegenaise
- New Vegan Sriracha Vegenaise
- Vegan Caesar
- Vegan Bleu Cheese
- Creamy Garlic, also vegan
📖 More zucchini recipes
- One of our favorite recipes is this recipe for Zucchini Muffins. I think it will be yours too.
- Street Tacos with black beans and zucchini really hit the spot.
- There are zucchini cubes and barbecue sauce in these Tasty Tortilla Wraps.
Zucchini Chips Air Fryer Recipe
- 3 cups zucchini - 2 to 3 small zucchini sliced thinly, about ⅛ - ¼ thick
- ½ cup flour
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 ½ cups panko bread crumbs
- 4 ounces aquafaba - the measurement will vary from the can
- ¼ cup vegan parmesan cheese
- Slice the zucchini into ⅛ - ¼ inch thick chips, using a mandoline slicer gives you uniform thickness and allows even cooking.
- In one small bowl add flour, salt & pepper, and paprika. Mix together
- In another small bowl add the aquafaba.
- A small bowl with panko and vegan parmesan cheese of your choice
- Preheat the air fryer at 400F for 5 minutes
- Dip the zucchini slices in the flour mixture, then aquafaba, and then the breadcrumbs mixture and place on a baking rack.
- Add a single layer of breaded zucchini chips in the bottom of the air fryer basket, spray with vegetable oil.
- Fry at 400F for 6-8 minutes but flip at 4 mins.
- Cook until chips are browned and crispy but don't overcook. Add any additional salt or pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately.