Acadian Black Beans and Rice
Acadian Black Beans and Rice is an updated version of the red beans and rice classic.
- 30 ounces black beans 2 - 15 ounce cans each, drained
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice
- 3 1/2 cups vegetable broth low sodium, for rice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion chopped
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- 1/4 cup tomatoes diced
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
Cook the brown rice in any method you choose. I use a rice cooker and I like to cook the rice with vegetable broth for this recipe.
In a large skillet heat the oil to medium and then add the onion and bell pepper.
Saute until the onion becomes transparent, about 10 minutes.
Add all the other ingredients (except the rice) to the large skillet that has the onion and bell pepper.
Cook for 10 minutes.
Add the rice and heat through.
Serving: 12ounces | Calories: 400kcal | Carbohydrates: 74g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 4g | Sodium: 941mg | Potassium: 699mg | Fiber: 14g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 510IU | Vitamin C: 18.2mg | Calcium: 63mg | Iron: 4.1mg