Cauliflower Po Boy Sandwich
Cauliflower Po Boy Sandwich is a hearty sandwich that is made from roasted cauliflower.
Servings 4 Sandwiches
- ½ head cauliflower broken into florets
- ½ pieces loaf soft French bread cut into 4 depending on loaf size (*use gluten-free bread)
- ½ cup white whole-wheat flour or regular whole wheat 62.5 g, *use a gluten-free flour blend
- ¼ cup cornmeal 30.5 g
- 1 tablespoon DIY Cajun Seasoning Blend 2 teaspoons nutritional yeast 5 g, page 30, 3.3 g
- 1 teaspoon salt ½ teaspoon smoked paprika ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened nondairy milk 30 ml
- 1 tablespoon not-too-hot vinegar-based hot sauce such as Texas Pete or Louisiana Hot Sauce 15 ml
- ¼ cup vegan mayo or Cashew Sour Cream 60 g, page 22, from Kathy's cookbook
- 11/2 teaspoons garlic 7 ml
- in Tabasco or the hot sauce your used the wet mix
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
Preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C).
Spray a large sheet pan with oil (**or line with parchment paper). Set aside.
Combine the dry mix ingredients in a small mixing bowl and the wet ones in a separate bowl.
Toss the cauliflower florets in the wet mixture then transfer to the dry mixture and coat well. Spread the florets on the sheet pan and roast for 20 to 30 minutes, turning every 10 minutes. Cook until the cauliflower is tender and is easily pierced with a fork. While the cauliflower roasts, mix the mayo ingredients together.
If the French bread is fresh there is no need to toast it, but if it’s getting dry, go ahead and toast it.
Spread a thick layer of the spicy mayo (**use mustard or tofu sour cream) on both sides of the bread, then layer with the cooked cauliflower.
You can top with more hot sauce, lettuce and tomato.
These are addictive. Make a double batch and freeze some for another time. Just reheat in a 350°F (177°C) oven until warm.
Serving: 1Sandwich | Calories: 347kcal | Carbohydrates: 55g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 174mg | Potassium: 154mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 875IU | Vitamin C: 10.1mg | Calcium: 34mg | Iron: 1.2mg