Healthy Morning Muffins
Healthy Morning Muffins have multiple grains, oats, nuts and fruit. They make a morning ritual complete.
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 45 minutes
Servings 12 Muffins
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal mixed with 2 1/2 tablespoons water - this is the egg substitute
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup bran cereal - ground coarsely
- 1/2 cup finely ground bran cereal
- 1/2 cup quick cooking oats
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/3 cup dairy-free butter, melted and cooled a bit
- 1 cup 1 apple - whatever the measurement turns out to be - granny smith apple, peeled and cut chunks (this will go into a food processor later. Do not peel the apple until right before using because it will turn brown - a bit.
Mix the flaxseed meal and water and set aside.
Put muffin paper liners in 12 muffin cups.
In a large bowl, combine the flour, both bran cereals, oats, cornmeal, sugar, walnuts, raisins, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg.
In a food processor add the flaxseed meal mixture, almond milk, melted butter, and apple and process for about 15 seconds.
Pour this liquid mixture into the large bowl that is holding all the dry ingredients. Stir well until just combined.
Spoon the batter into each muffin cup. The batter will pretty much be to the top of the muffin cups.
Bake at 400° for 25 minutes or until a toothpick, inserted in the center, comes out clean.
Transfer muffins to a rack and let cool.
After they have cooled you may freeze them in any of the methods shown in my article How to Prepare Food for the Freezer.
They defrost quickly so it really doesn't take any planning. The microwave will also zap them in 20 seconds.
Serving: 1Muffin | Calories: 177kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 288mg | Potassium: 210mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 85IU | Vitamin C: 0.3mg | Calcium: 66mg | Iron: 1.9mg