This Watermelon Recipe with Fresh Fruit is more like an instruction but it is lovingly called a watermelon pizza. There are lots of colors and flavors of summer and an optional sweet cream sauce too.
Turning on the oven in the heat of the summer rarely sounds appealing. Easy, budget-friendly meals that don’t require any cooking are ideal.
Normally at our house, summer involves constantly being on the go. Pool parties, picnics, and barbeques are always happening. It's still happening but the gatherings aren't as crowded - at all. But we still want to have something delicious.
This is not only for a refreshing mid-day meal but this is fantastic for dinner. The weather gets so hot outside and all you really want to eat is something flavorful and refreshing in the evening.
This refreshing low carb watermelon recipe is my go-to recipe for any summer occasion. It’s ready in under 30 minutes.
In this guide, I’ll be sharing my favorite watermelon recipe and tips and tricks to enhancing this delicious feast.
🍉 Fun Facts About Watermelon
- Watermelon is made up of 92 percent water
- There are over 300 types grown in the United States
- Watermelon seeds are actually extremely nutritious, full of magnesium, zinc, and protein.
- China is the world’s largest producer.
- Grilling watermelon enhances the flavor immensely.
- The best toppings for watermelon pizza are seasonal fruits like:
- Cherries are pretty when pitted and sliced down the center.
- Kiwi is so unusual but it is sweet-tart and absolutely delicious. Peel first.
- More additions:
- Dragon fruit needs the peeling removed before eating. We ate our separate and they didn't make it as a pizza topping.
- Mint leaves
- Edible flowers like pansies
I'll include a 'cream sauce' recipe below in case you want to do this. I just like my fruit plain and pure. A lot of people would love the sweet cream sauce.
One of the best things about this recipe is that it’s extremely versatile — you can add as little or as much fruit as you’d like. Just like your favorite pizzas.
🍈 Watermelon assembly
You can also make a sweet 'cream sauce' to dollop here and there before placing any fruit. Then place a fruit piece on top of each dollop and in between also.
This Watermelon Recipe is one of the easiest things to make — and that’s why I love it.
📋 Sweet Cream Sauce
Here's the sweet cream sauce I was telling you about.
- ¾ cup cashews
- 3 ounces of water
- 2 Medjool dates
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Soak the cashews for about 4 hours to soften them up. If you have a high-speed blender then you don't have to soak the cashews.
- Drain the cashews and add all of the ingredients to the blender.
- Blend until smooth. It won't take over three to five minutes and take a break every 30-60 seconds as to not overheat your blender.
- Taste. You may add a drop or so of maple syrup if you'd like it sweeter but remember the fruit is sweet.
- After the cream sauce is creamy and smooth place it in the refrigerator to chill until you are ready to use it.
Slice up the watermelon into 2 to 3 inch rounds.
Top your pizza:
If using the cream sauce simply spoon out a few spoonfuls of the cream sauce onto the watermelon rounds and top with the fruit of your choosing.
When spreading (or dolloping) the cream sauce, be sure to leave some space near the rind so you have room to hold the slices. I'm super neat but I still use a fork so maybe that means that I'm actually super messy and I need to use a fork.
If not using the cream sauce slice the pizza round into eighths. If it is a sugar baby watermelon you can slice it into sixths if you prefer.
Add the varieties of the prepared fruit on top of each slice.
Add the mint leaves and edible flowers if you so choose and your fruit pizza is ready to serve!
Viola! Your watermelon fruit pizza is done!
No hot oven and no cooling time required.
Whether you’re feeding a crowd or looking for a healthy quick treat for one, this watermelon pizza is easy to make and pairs perfectly with a sandwich at any summer meal.
👩🏻🍳 Frequently asked questions
Is watermelon fruit pizza keto-friendly?
Although watermelon pizza is a little higher in sugar/carbs than most keto-friendly desserts, it’s still a great option for a health conscience, keto-friendly treat.
Why do you add edible flowers?
Edible flowers like pansies not only add an extra pop of color but they add a bit of zest to the fruit pizza.
More fresh fruit recipes
- Fresh Fruit Salsa and Cinnamon Chips make my mouth water just thinking about it.
- Real Fruit Popsicles with Pink Grapefruit and oranges is truly fruit on a stick.
If you take a photo of your beautiful fresh fruit I would love to see it. Follow me over on Instagram and tag me on your photo @vegan_in_the_freezer.
Watermelon Recipe with Fresh Fruit
- 6 pounds Watermelon
- 8 ounces Strawberries
- 8 ounces Peaches
- 8 ounces Blackberries
- 8 ounces Cherries
- 8 ounces Kiwi
- 8 ounces Raspberries
- If using the cream sauce simply spoon out a few spoonfuls of the cream sauce onto the watermelon rounds and top with the fruit of your choosing.
- When spreading (or dolloping) the cream sauce, be sure to leave some space near the rind so you have room to hold the slices. You can use a fork too.
- If not using the cream sauce slice the pizza round into eights. If it is a sugar baby watermelon you can slice it into sixths if you prefer.
- Add the varieties of the prepared fruit on top of each slice.
- Add the mint leaves and edible flowers if you so choose and your fruit pizza is ready to serve!