Vegan Mozzarella Cheese is easy to make and is the perfect texture. A little gooey for dips and spreads and creamy enough to spread for layers in casseroles.
It is my mission to recreate all of the dairy ingredients that I need to make my favorite casseroles and dishes from the old days. The old days meaning before I was vegan. You know, ingredients like the cheesy stuff.
Most of the time you don’t need it, at all, but sometimes it would be nice. For things like lasagna. That was my inspiration for this mozzarella cheese. It lends another texture and flavor that just pushes so many dishes over the top. A creamy layer for lasagna, dollops on tacos or spread on bread for sandwiches.
Did I mention that it only takes 13 minutes to make? A plant based sauce that works for both the ricotta and the mozzarella is something that you have to have in your cooking arsenal. There is a trick to make it stretchier too for when you want that option. The trick is in the notes right below the recipe. Stretchier for maybe on a pizza or as a dip.
I keep mentioning ways you can use this cheese just because it is so dang versatile. Use Vegan Mozzarella Cheese for anything you like! Scoop up with tortilla chips, dollop onto pizza before baking, make a grilled cheese sandwich, or whatever your hearts desire. Believe me you’ll be eating it off a spoon. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a five days. If you can keep from eating it all for that long. Oh, well. Just make some more.
Versatile Vegan Mozzarella Cheese
- 3/4 cup raw cashews, soaked in water from 2 hours to overnight soaked from 2 hours to overnight
- 1/2 cup water to be added to the mix when blended
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon tapioca starch or tapioca flour, it's the same thing
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Cover the cashews with water and soak rom two hours to overnight. Drain.
- Add all of the ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Turn this blended mixture into a saucepan.
- Cook on medium heat and stir until the sauce thickens a bit. It will take about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Take off the heat to cool and it is ready to store or use in a multitude of ways.
For s stretchier/stringier 'cheese' add another tablespoon of tapioca starch during the original process. Just delicious!
Let cool to room temperature.
Package in rigid sided containers and store in the freezer up to 3 months.
Remove from the freezer and put in the refrigerator overnight because it is a pretty solid mass and will take longer to defrost.
The night of using-
Heat in the microwave for 15 seconds. Stir.
It will probably be too thick so add a tablespoon of water and heat 15 more seconds and stir.
Continue until it is the thickness that you like. Probably just 2 tablespoons of water will be all that you need.