Veggie Stuffed Pasta Shells are flavorful, warm and satisfying. Stuffed with sauce, plant based ‘sausage’ crumbled into small pieces and little florets of broccoli.
Comfort food here we come! Veggie Stuffed Pasta Shells are flavorful, warm, satisfying and delicious. Stuffed with a wonderful tomato sauce, ‘sausage’ crumbled into small pieces and little florets of broccoli.
This recipe is reminiscent of lasagna … but … there are little bits of broccoli and the meat is not hamburger but a wonderful faux sausage with wonderful spicy flavors. Non GMO and delicious!
We eat a lot of pasta in our house and I am always trying to find something different and to show off so I can say – I got skills. This was a hit and I am glad to say Ed is happy and, ahem, very lucky.
Veggie Stuffed Pasta Shells
- 8 ounce jumbo pasta shells package
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/2 white onion , chpped
- 24 ounces spaghetti sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 12 ounces Italian Field Roast Sausage pack of 4, not sponsored, I just love this sausage
- 8 ounces mushrooms
- 1 cup broccoli , cut into small florettes
- 8 ounces dairy-free mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- You will need a 8" x 8" or 8" x 10" casserole dish.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions and set aside.
- Put the 'cheese' in a food processor and pulse into smaller pieces (if you have a shredded type). I like to do this do be able to spread the cheese even thinner and get a better melted effect.
- Heat 1 Tablespoon coconut oil in a large skillet.
- Field Roast Sausage is a large sausage like Italian sausage. Put the 'sausages' in the skillet and brown on all sides. Take out of the pan and set aside.
- Heat another Tablespoon oil in the skillet.
- Add the onion and saute until transparent, about 10 minutes.
- Set the cooked onion aside.
- Heat the last Tablespoon of oil in the large skillet.
- Saute the mushrooms until the liquid is released and almost gone. About 15 minutes.
- Cut the sausage into a few large chunks.
- Put in a food processor and pulse until the sausage is processed into very small pieces. It will be delicious in the pasta shells.
- Steam or boil the broccoli for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Put the spaghetti sauce, mushrooms, onions, 'sausage' and broccoli back into the skillet.
- Add the 1/2 cup water and stir.
- Do not add the pasta or cheese.
- Cook at medium heat for 15 minutes.
- Put 1/4 cup of the skillets sauce in the bottom of the casserole.
- Add about half of the cheese into the sauce and mix well.
- Stuff the shells with the sauce mixture and lay in the prepared casserole There will be about 2 layers. Depending on the size of the casserole.
- Pour the rest of the sauce over all of the shells.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese all over the top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Remove and serve.
Please follow any of the directions defined in my article How to Prepare Food for the Freezer. TO PREPARE AFTER FREEZING: Take out of freezer and put in the refrigerator at least 6 to 8 hours before baking (or the day before). Bake, covered at 350° for 20 minutes and then uncover and bake for 10 minutes.