Vegan sweet potato pie is a delicious dessert made with pumpkin puree, almond milk, warm spices, and a homemade crispy buttery crust. It's the perfect treat for the holidays!
Table of Contents
Why You'll Love This Vegan Sweet Potato Pie Recipe
A Classic- Vegan sweet potato pie is a great way to enjoy all the delicious flavors of everyone's favorite cold-weather pie. This vegan version of the classic dessert is free from dairy and eggs, yet it still has all the sweet, creamy flavor you know and love.
Taste Amazing- Sweet potatoes bring a delightful flavor to the pie, and when combined with vegan butter and spices like nutmeg, cinnamon, and allspice, it's an irresistibly delicious dessert.
Simple Ingredients- You don't need any unusual ingredients for this vegan sweet potato pie. Just a few basics like sweet potatoes, vegan butter, almond milk, sugar, and flour, and you're set!
What Is Sweet Potato Pie?
Sweet potato pie is a popular and classic Southern dessert made with mashed sweet potatoes spiced and blended with butter, sugar, eggs, and milk. It's then baked in a homemade or store-bought crust and topped with either meringue or whipped cream. This vegan version of the beloved pie features no dairy products, eggs, or butter in the recipe.
- Pie Pan
- Cooking Spray
- Medium Mixing Bowl
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Firm Spatula
- Rolling Pin
- Stirring Spoon
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
For The Buttery Crust:
- Flour- Helps to form the base of the pie crust.
- Organic Cane Sugar- Adds sweetness to the pastry crust. It also helps to bind all of the ingredients together.
- Vegan Butter- Gives the pastry its unique texture and flavor
- Cold Vegetable Shortening- Adds flakiness to the pie crust that vegan butter alone can't achieve.
- Ice Cold Water- Binds the ingredients together and moistens the pastry dough.
For The Vegan Pie Filling:
- Sweet Potato Puree- Sweet potatoes are the main ingredient in this pie dish! Pureed sweet potato is what gives this pie its delicious, sweet flavor.
- Organic Cane Sugar- Provides a sweetness to the filling and helps to thicken it.
- Maple Syrup- This creates a layer of flavor and helps to bind the ingredients together.
- Cinnamon- Adds a subtle, warm flavor to the filling.
- Nutmeg- Brings out the pie's sweetness and adds another layer of flavor.
- Vanilla Extract- Enhances all of the flavors in the pie filling and gives it a pleasant aroma.
- Salt- For a tantalizing flavor boost.
- Almond Milk- Helps to thin out the filling and provides a silky texture.
How To Make Vegan Sweet Potato Pie
Preheat oven to 400F and grease your pie pan with cooking spray or vegan butter. Next, you will want to start to prepare the vegan pie crust. In a medium bowl, combine the flour and cane sugar. Add the vegan butter and vegetable shortening to the flour mixture. Then, using a firm spatula or clean hands, work the butter and shortening to the flour. If you have a food processor, you can use it to make sure everything is combined evenly. Once the mixture resembles coarse crumbs, add the ice-cold water, stirring one tablespoon at a time until the dough holds together.
Roll out the dough slightly larger than the pie pan so that when you place the dough into the pan, the whole pie pan is covered. Once the crust is in the pan, set it aside to begin making the filling.
Combine the sweet potato puree, maple syrup, vanilla extract, dairy-free milk, and the spice blend in a large bowl or blender. Stir or blend until the sweet potato pie filling has a creamy texture, and pour the filling into the pie crust. Smooth the top with the back of a spoon and bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes. Reduce the heat to 350F and bake for 30 minutes more.
Once done, let the pie cool completely before slicing. Serve with whipped coconut cream, vegan whipped cream, or dairy-free vanilla ice cream. Enjoy!
Note: If you are running short on time, you can use a pre-baked or store-bought pie crust.
What to Serve With Sweet Potato Pie
This vegan sweet potato pie is truly a marvel! No matter how you enjoy this delicious dish, everyone at the table will love it, guaranteed! For those who seek something more creative, try topping this divine dessert with applesauce and chopped nuts to add texture and flavor.
Enjoy it with a scoop of vegan vanilla ice cream for an indulgent treat, or have it alongside your hot cup of coffee or tea.
Popular Substitutions & Additions
- Add some crushed pecans or vegan chocolate chips to the pie filling.
- Try using vegan brown sugar or coconut sugar instead of organic cane sugar for a deeper flavor.
- Top the sweet potato pie with shredded coconut, mini vegan chocolate chips, or salted caramel sauce.
- Substitute the sweet potato pie filling with canned pumpkin or pumpkin puree and pumpkin pie spice to make a pumpkin pie instead.
- Replace the almond milk with any other dairy-free milk of your choice, such as oat milk, soy milk, or coconut milk.
Can You Freeze Vegan Sweet Potato Pie?
Yes, you can freeze sweet potato pie. To do so, ensure the pie is completely cooled before freezing. Wrap the vegan sweet potato pie in plastic wrap, place it in a resealable container, and store it in the freezer for up to six months. When ready to enjoy, thaw the frozen pie in the fridge overnight and serve it chilled or put it in the oven for a couple of minutes to warm it up. Leftover pie can also be stored in the refrigerator for 4-5 days in an airtight container.
Vegan Sweet Potato Pie FAQs
Can I make this sweet potato pie with canned sweet potatoes instead of pureed?
Yes, you can make this vegan sweet potato pie with canned sweet potatoes. Just be sure to drain them well and use a potato masher to mash them until they are entirely smooth before adding them to the filling.
Do I have to refrigerate the vegan sweet potato pie?
Yes, it's best to store the pie in the fridge, as it will be in an airtight container for 4-5 days. You can also freeze the pie if desired. Just make sure it's completely cooled before freezing.
Is this sweet potato pie gluten-free?
Yes, this vegan sweet potato pie is naturally gluten-free since it contains no wheat flour or other gluten-containing ingredients. However, please check the labels on all your ingredients to ensure they are certified gluten-free if needed.
Can I make my sweet potato puree?
Yes, you can make your own puree for this vegan sweet potato pie. To do so, peel and cube two large sweet potatoes before boiling them in salted water until tender. Drain the cooked potatoes, then mash them until smooth. Use mashed sweet potatoes in place of canned sweet potato puree.
How do I know when my vegan sweet potato pie is done cooking?
Your vegan sweet potato pie is done cooking when a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. You can also test for doneness by giving the center of the pie a gentle shake. It should be set and no longer jiggly. The pie crust should be a nice golden brown.
Vegan Sweet Potato Pie
For the crust
- 1 ¾ cup flour
- 1 tbsp organic cane sugar
- ¼ cup Vegan butter cold
- ¼ cup vegetable shortening cold
- 7 tbsp ice-cold water
For the filling
- 2 cups sweet potato puree
- ½ cup organic cane sugar
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp salt
- ¾ cup almond milk
- Preheat oven to 400F. Grease the pie pan with Vegan butter or cooking spray.
- Make the crust; in a bowl, combine flour and cane sugar.
- Add Vegan butter and vegetable shortening. Using a firm spatula or with clean fingers, work the Vegan butter and shortening into the flour, or use a food processor.
- Add ice-cold water and stir until the dough comes together.
- Roll out the dough, slightly larger than the pie pan, so when you place the dough into the pie pan the bottom and sides are covered.
- Once the crust is in the pie pan, set it aside and make the filling.
- Make the filling; in a bowl or food blender combine all the filling ingredients. Stir or blend until smooth.
- Spoon the filling into the prepared pie crust.
- Smooth the top with the back of the spoon and bake in the heated oven for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350F and continue to bake for 30 minutes more.
- Cool the pie completely before serving and slicing.
- Serve with whipped coconut cream, Vegan egg white replacer, or Vegan vanilla ice cream.