Vegan Pizza Dip with Mushrooms and Veggies is everybody’s favorite. Great pizza toppings are mixed together and are perfect for pita triangles and flatbread squares.
The flavors of pizza hit the taste buds just right. The base sauce is a major component. It can be a white sauce, something like this vegan white pizza sauce but red tomato sauce is the classic.
Deep and flavorful pizza sauce comes partially from rich tomato paste. It’s a flavor that you can’t get from any other place. And of course to round out pizza sauce you must have Italian spices.
Then there has to be a little bit of sweetness to counteract the acidity. That’s always added. Now to make this dip. Lots and lots of everybody’s favorite vegetables.
Everything has to be cooked first but it’s easy and comes together very quickly. You can make it ahead of time too. It tastes just as good the second day.
I don’t really serve this with vegetables because the veggies are already in there. Bread or crackers seem like the best bet for pizza dip. Just the the bottom of a pizza.
By the way you can make you own pita chips. Nothing is better than homemade pitta chips. So many of the ones in the store are super hard and, quite frankly, they aren’t my favorite.
So try making your own. Take pita rounds and brush them lightly on both sides with dairy free butter. Cut each round into eighths just like you would a pizza.
Bake at 400 degrees for about 7 minutes. But keep your eye on them because they can turn quick. That’s it! Serve up your delicious dip and make sure you get a big scoop.
What Can I Serve with Pizza Dip?
- As I mentioned above pita triangles and flatbread squares are ideal.
- Crusty French bread or Italian bread. Something like a baguette that isn’t too wide. It’s the ultimate in scooping.
- My favorite cracker would actually be a pretzel. Have you seen the ones that look like they’ve been rolled out before baked? Those would be perfect.
- Bread sticks would be great. The hard ones or the bread-like baked kind would both work.
- Naan cut into triangles would be delicious.
Vegan Pizza Dip with Mushrooms and Veggies
- 8 ounces mushrooms, white
- 1/2 cup onion, white
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 ounces black olives, sliced
To make the sauce:
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- dash ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons coconut sugar
- Add 2 tablespoons water to a skillet. Heat to medium high and add the mushrooms and start sautéing. Turn down the heat. Natural moisture will release form the mushrooms as they sauté.
- After about 3 minutes add the onion and bell pepper. Sauté for 10 more minutes.
- Add the garlic, oregano and salt. Cook 2 minutes.
- While the veggies are sautéing start the pizza sauce. You can also us your favorite 14 ounce jar of pizza sauce instead.
- To a large saucepan add the tomato paste and water. Mix well and turn to medium high heat. When t comes to a boil turn the heat down to a simmer.
- Add the remaining 8 ingredients. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add all the veggies from the skillet into the saucepan along with the tomato sauce. Heat through and cook to the thickness that you like. It may already be ready. Add the black olives and heat through.
- Serve now or let cool and refrigerate until you are ready to serve.
Let’s Get Connected!