Vegan Orange Pecan Muffins are a meal in themselves. They’re packed full of fiber, nuts, and citrus flavor. The drizzle over the top adds a little more sweetness.
How’s that for a breakfast treat! Well, the drizzle does turn these Vegan Orange Pecan Muffins more into a dessert but they still have all the good healthy qualities on the inside.
I’ve always loved muffins for breakfast as an alternative when I need a break from oatmeal or cereal. They also save time for when you are running late and you need to grab something as you head for your car.
You can even just plan it so that you’ll have them even when you’re not running late.
A tip for making muffins is to use muffin cups. They work really well. For one thing you don’t have to use anything to grease the muffin tins.
Another plus is that you can be sure that they will come out of the tins without sticking to the sides.
The drizzle has orange juice in it too so that is the reason the icing color is tinged with the palest orange in some of the photos. The flavor is so good.
You can use any egg substitute that you choose but the ones I use more often in baking are chia seed meal, flax seed meal and banana. They just seem to work so well.
I used chia seed meal for these Vegan Orange Pecan Muffins and I do prefer the meal to the seeds.
How Do You Make Chia Seed Meal for an Egg Substitute?
- There are white and black chia seeds on the market. You can use either one.
- To get an instant egg use the chia seed meal and not the seed.
- The way you make meal/flour is by grinding the chia seed in a processor such as one for your coffee beans or a spice grinder.
- I use mine to strictly grind seeds so that I do not mix flavors. Grind until it is a fine meal.
- I do about 4 ounces at a time and keep it in a little freezer safe canning jar – in the freezer.
- When I need a tablespoon or so it is all ready to go.
- One egg equals one tablespoon chia seed meal and 3 tablespoons water. MIx together and it gels in seconds.
You can see the icing is thicker on the photo above. I poured a little more over the top after it sat a little while and it thickened up a bit. You can see there’s more icing in the muffin cup too.
The color of the orange drizzle shows up a little better here too. So you can see you have a choice of thin or thick drizzle.
What are some Great Breakfast Muffins!
- Here are just three from the wide variety of delicious muffins I have on the blog.
- Irish Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Muffins are full of all the good things.
- How about apples with your breakfast – Apple Granola Muffins!
- You can never have enough fruit and it’s all the better when it’s served with breakfast – Black Forest Cherry Muffins.
This post contains affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.
Orange Pecan Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup vegan bran cereal, processed to crumbs
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup coconut oil or oil of your choice
- 1 tablespoon chia seed meal or flax seed meal
- 3 tablespoons water to mix with the chia seed meal or flax seed meal
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/2 cup dairy free milk of your choice
- 3/4 cup pecans, chopped
For the Drizzle:
- juice of one orange
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Place muffin liners in 10 muffin cups.To make the drizzle: Mix the orange juice andpowdered sugar together. If it does not seem thinenough, you can add water, ½ teaspoon at a time.Drizzle right onto the center of each muffin and allow itto go over the sides.
- In a medium-size bowl, combine the flour, cereal, coconut sugar, baking powder, and salt. Mix well.
- Pour in the coconut oil and mix well. Add the orange juice and dairy free milk and stir well.
- Mix the chia seed meal and water together in a small bowl to gel for a few seconds and then add to the bowl and mix well.
- Fold in the pecans.
- Divide the batter among the prepared muffin cups. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Let cool for 10 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
For the Drizzle:
- Mix the orange juice and powdered sugar together. If it does not seem thin enough, you can add water, ½ teaspoon at a time.
- Drizzle right onto the center of each muffin and allow itto go over the sides.
How Do You Store Vegan Orange Pecan Muffins?
Storing in the refrigerator:
Will keep covered in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Freeze in airtight containers for up to 3 months. Let
defrost in the refrigerator overnight and they are ready to serve.
The drizzle will freeze too but it will have a fresher look as if they was just baked if the drizzle was added fresh.